How to display privileges in psql

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.

So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.

Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.

Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
maybe this is not an issue at all.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: How to display privileges in psql

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
>
> So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
>
> Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
>
> Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
> maybe this is not an issue at all.

Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: How to display privileges in psql

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:41:49AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
> >
> > So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
> >
> > Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
> >
> > Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> > should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
> > maybe this is not an issue at all.
>
> Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.

IMHO the \dn+ output would get too wide if you do that.  I'd be in favor
of using \z<letter> to display permissions of the object in \d<letter>

Something that annoys me is that the \? shows

\dt        description of what it does ...    add + for more details

where it should be

\dt[+]        same description

No need to say what the + does, it should be obvious.

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"

Re: How to display privileges in psql

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:41:49AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
> > >
> > > So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
> > >
> > > Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
> > >
> > > Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> > > should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
> > > maybe this is not an issue at all.
> >
> > Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.
>
> IMHO the \dn+ output would get too wide if you do that.  I'd be in favor
> of using \z<letter> to display permissions of the object in \d<letter>

Is the new \db+ and \dn+ too wide now?

Actually it looks like \db+ is fine but \dn+ is long because it has both
permissions and a description:test=> \dt+               List of relations Schema | Name | Type  |  Owner   |
Description--------+------+-------+----------+-------------public | test | table | postgres |(1 row)test=> \db+
       List of tablespaces    Name    |  Owner   | Location | Access
privileges------------+----------+----------+-------------------pg_default | postgres |          | pg_global  |
postgres|          |(2 rows)test=> \dn+                                            List of schemas        Name        |
Owner   |          Access privileges          |
Description--------------------+----------+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------
information_schema| postgres | {postgres=UC/postgres,=U/postgres}  | pg_catalog         | postgres |
{postgres=UC/postgres,=U/postgres} | System catalog schema pg_toast           | postgres |
      | Reserved schema for TOAST tables public             | postgres | {postgres=UC/postgres,=UC/postgres} | Standard
publicschema(4 rows)

> Something that annoys me is that the \? shows
>
> \dt        description of what it does ...
>         add + for more details
>
> where it should be
>
> \dt[+]        same description
>
> No need to say what the + does, it should be obvious.

Good idea.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: How to display privileges in psql

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> IMHO the \dn+ output would get too wide if you do that.  I'd be in favor
> of using \z<letter> to display permissions of the object in \d<letter>

I think it's time to start with longer command names. Tab completion makes
it easy anyway. The short ones should still be there, but not every
command needs a short form.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: How to display privileges in psql

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
>
> So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
>
> Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
>
> Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
> maybe this is not an issue at all.

I don't know :(

psql is starting to struggle to show all information!

And what about \df+ and \l+ ?  They both need privilege display as well.

Chris

Re: How to display privileges in psql

Added to TODO:
* Allow psql to display permission information using \df+ and \l+

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
> >
> > So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
> >
> > Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
> >
> > Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> > should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb?  Or
> > maybe this is not an issue at all.
>
> I don't know :(
>
> psql is starting to struggle to show all information!
>
> And what about \df+ and \l+ ?  They both need privilege display as well.
>
> Chris

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Added to TODO:
>
>     * Allow psql to display permission information using \df+ and \l+

What about, develop a consistent way to display privilege information
for all objects in psql?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: How to display privileges in psql

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:41:14PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >     * Allow psql to display permission information using \df+ and
> >     \l+
>
> What about, develop a consistent way to display privilege
> information for all objects in psql?

Excellent idea. :)

Is this worth breaking backward compatibility for?  IMHO, yes, but
others may have good reasons--critical-path psql scripts, e.g.--for
not doing it.

BTW, while I working out an example for CREATE DOMAIN
(http://fetter.org/sgml/sql-createdomain.html), I found that \dD and
\dD+ appear to do the exact same thing.  I was hoping that \dD+ would
show all CONSTRAINTs.

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: How to display privileges in psql

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >     * Allow psql to display permission information using \df+ and \l+
>
> What about, develop a consistent way to display privilege information
> for all objects in psql?

OK, item wording updated.

Pennsylvania19073