Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Just occurred to me that we have no code to prevent a user from running two
simultaneos lazy vacuums on the same table.    I can't think of any
circumstance why running two vacuums would be desirable behavior; how
difficult would it be to make this an exception?

This becomes a more crucial issue now since the introduction of vacuum_delay
makes overlapping vacuums more probable.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Just occurred to me that we have no code to prevent a user from running two
> simultaneos lazy vacuums on the same table.

Yes we do: there's a lock.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 15:37, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Just occurred to me that we have no code to prevent a user from running two
> simultaneos lazy vacuums on the same table.    I can't think of any
> circumstance why running two vacuums would be desirable behavior; how
> difficult would it be to make this an exception?

You have a 8 billion row table with some very high turn over tuples
(lots of updates to a few thousand rows). A partial or targeted vacuum
would be best, failing that you kick them off fairly frequently,
especially if IO isn't really an issue.

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rod,

> You have a 8 billion row table with some very high turn over tuples
> (lots of updates to a few thousand rows). A partial or targeted vacuum
> would be best, failing that you kick them off fairly frequently,
> especially if IO isn't really an issue.

Yes, but we don't have partial or targeted vacuums yet.  When tablespaces is
finished, presumably the lock would be per tablespace.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> Yes we do: there's a lock.

Sorry, bad test.  Forget I said anything.

Personally, I would like to have the 2nd vacuum error out instead of blocking.
However, I'll bet that a lot of people won't agree with me.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:51, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > Yes we do: there's a lock.
>
> Sorry, bad test.  Forget I said anything.
>
> Personally, I would like to have the 2nd vacuum error out instead of blocking.
> However, I'll bet that a lot of people won't agree with me.

Don't know if I would agree for sure, but i the second vacuum could see
that it is being blocked by the current vacuum, exiting out would be a
bonus, since in most scenarios you don't need to run that second vacuum
so it just ends up wasting resources (or clogging other things up with
it lock)

Robert Treat

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:51, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Tom,
>>

>>>Yes we do: there's a lock.
>>>

>>Sorry, bad test.  Forget I said anything.
>>
>>Personally, I would like to have the 2nd vacuum error out instead of blocking.
>>However, I'll bet that a lot of people won't agree with me.
>>

>Don't know if I would agree for sure, but i the second vacuum could see
>that it is being blocked by the current vacuum, exiting out would be a
>bonus, since in most scenarios you don't need to run that second vacuum
>so it just ends up wasting resources (or clogging other things up with
>it lock)

What about a situation where someone would have lazy vacuums cron'd and
it takes longer to complete the vacuum than the interval between
vacuums.  You could wind up with an ever increasing queue of vacuums.

Erroring out with a "vacuum already in progress" might be useful.

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> What about a situation where someone would have lazy vacuums cron'd and
> it takes longer to complete the vacuum than the interval between
> vacuums.  You could wind up with an ever increasing queue of vacuums.
>
> Erroring out with a "vacuum already in progress" might be useful.

I have seen this many times with customers as their traffic on the
database grows. A simple check would be of great, great use.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.
The wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead

Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?

Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Don't know if I would agree for sure, but i the second vacuum could see
> that it is being blocked by the current vacuum, exiting out would be a
> bonus, since in most scenarios you don't need to run that second vacuum
> so it just ends up wasting resources (or clogging other things up with
> it lock)

This would be reasonable if we could do it, but the present lock manager
doesn't provide any way to tell what sort of lock is blocking you.
There are some cases in which it isn't obvious anyway.  For instance,
suppose an ALTER TABLE (which wants an exclusive lock) is queued up
waiting for the currently-running VACUUM.  An incoming new VACUUM
request will queue behind the ALTER.  Which lock would you say is
blocking it ... and does an honest answer to that question jibe with
your preference about whether the second VACUUM should give up?

A chintzy way out would be for VACUUM to just exit if it can't
immediately acquire lock, regardless of the cause.  This wouldn't be
too useful for VACUUM FULL, but plain VACUUM is not blocked by very many
common operations other than another VACUUM, so most of the time it
would do what you want.  I could possibly be talked into supporting an
option to do that.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 02:07, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > Don't know if I would agree for sure, but i the second vacuum could see
> > that it is being blocked by the current vacuum, exiting out would be a
> > bonus, since in most scenarios you don't need to run that second vacuum
> > so it just ends up wasting resources (or clogging other things up with
> > it lock)
>
> This would be reasonable if we could do it, but the present lock manager
> doesn't provide any way to tell what sort of lock is blocking you.
> There are some cases in which it isn't obvious anyway.  For instance,
> suppose an ALTER TABLE (which wants an exclusive lock) is queued up
> waiting for the currently-running VACUUM.  An incoming new VACUUM
> request will queue behind the ALTER.  Which lock would you say is
> blocking it ... and does an honest answer to that question jibe with
> your preference about whether the second VACUUM should give up?

ISTM that both sides have trouble, since you could just as easily have
vacuum queued up behind an alter we your second vacuum comes in...

> A chintzy way out would be for VACUUM to just exit if it can't
> immediately acquire lock, regardless of the cause.  This wouldn't be
> too useful for VACUUM FULL, but plain VACUUM is not blocked by very many
> common operations other than another VACUUM, so most of the time it
> would do what you want.  I could possibly be talked into supporting an
> option to do that.

This seems pretty useful to me. I thought about doing things like
setting statement_timeout to some low number but that would generally
cause the vacuum to timeout as well.  Looking through postgresql.conf
nothing else seems to apply... ISTR people asking for a general
"lock_timeout" param that would cancel queries if they wait for a lock
longer than x milliseconds... this seems like very similar
functionality...

Robert Treat