Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?
Date
Re: Preventing duplicate vacuums?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:51, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > Yes we do: there's a lock.
>
> Sorry, bad test.  Forget I said anything.
>
> Personally, I would like to have the 2nd vacuum error out instead of blocking.
> However, I'll bet that a lot of people won't agree with me.

Don't know if I would agree for sure, but i the second vacuum could see
that it is being blocked by the current vacuum, exiting out would be a
bonus, since in most scenarios you don't need to run that second vacuum
so it just ends up wasting resources (or clogging other things up with
it lock)

Robert Treat