Defaut database encoding

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear friends,

Recently, several pgAdmin3 users complained about missing accentuated
characters. The problems mostly came from the ASCII database encoding, which
provides arbitrary storage of accentuated characters.

During installation of a Debian station, I noticed that the Debian
initialisation script asked the user to define a default database encoding.

This reduces the risk for choosing an ASCIII database. Are there plans to make
such an initialisation script default in PostgreSQL? I was not able to read
discussions about the InitDB script. Maybe such a solution is on the way...

Maybe the script could check the locale and propose an appropriate database
encoding.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel