Defaut database encoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Defaut database encoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear friends,

Recently, several pgAdmin3 users complained about missing accentuated
characters. The problems mostly came from the ASCII database encoding, which
provides arbitrary storage of accentuated characters.

During installation of a Debian station, I noticed that the Debian
initialisation script asked the user to define a default database encoding.

This reduces the risk for choosing an ASCIII database. Are there plans to make
such an initialisation script default in PostgreSQL? I was not able to read
discussions about the InitDB script. Maybe such a solution is on the way...

Maybe the script could check the locale and propose an appropriate database
encoding.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel