Win32 for 7.5... how to help?

From
Claudio Natoli
Date:
Hi all,

This probably more than a little premature/ill-timed, but I was hoping to
start a groundswell of support for Win32 port.

I, and I imagine quite a number of capable lurkers on the list, would love
to get involved. Is there a way that work can be doled out now/soon, so that
we can make the next release (and with more stability than we might have
expected had the port squeezed into 7.4).

How do we help?

No doubt this'll be shelved until some time after 7.4 is pushed out, but it
would be great if one of the Postgres "heavies" (figuratively :-) would
pro-actively lead this...

Best of all,
Claudio

---
WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

Re: Win32 for 7.5... how to help?

Date:
I am already leading it, I think.

Claudio Natoli wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This probably more than a little premature/ill-timed, but I was hoping to
> start a groundswell of support for Win32 port.
>
> I, and I imagine quite a number of capable lurkers on the list, would love
> to get involved. Is there a way that work can be doled out now/soon, so that
> we can make the next release (and with more stability than we might have
> expected had the port squeezed into 7.4).
>
> How do we help?
>
> No doubt this'll be shelved until some time after 7.4 is pushed out, but it
> would be great if one of the Postgres "heavies" (figuratively :-) would
> pro-actively lead this...
>
> Best of all,
> Claudio
>

> ---
> WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
> THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
> TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
> Certain disclaimers and policies apply to all email sent from Memetrics.
> For the full text of these disclaimers and policies see
> http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Win32 for 7.5... how to help?

From
Claudio Natoli
Date:
> I am already leading it, I think.

Ok. How do the willing get involved?

Cheers,
Claudio

---
WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

Re: Win32 for 7.5... how to help?

Date:
Uh, the two big items are Win32 signal code, and reordering the startup
code to allow exec without fork.  Both are pretty complicated, but I do
ask for assistance on the hackers list.

Claudio Natoli wrote:

> > I am already leading it, I think.
>
> Ok. How do the willing get involved?
>
> Cheers,
> Claudio
>
> ---
> WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
> THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
> TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
> Certain disclaimers and policies apply to all email sent from Memetrics.
> For the full text of these disclaimers and policies see
> http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Win32 for 7.5... how to help?

From
Claudio Natoli
Date:
> Uh, the two big items are Win32 signal code, and reordering
> the startup code to allow exec without fork.  Both are pretty
> complicated, but I do ask for assistance on the hackers list.

Ok. I guess we'll just keep our eyes peeled for the next time we can help
out.

Thanks for the replies...

---