Warning for undefined cursor

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
In backend/commands/portalcmds.c we have
       /* FIXME: shouldn't this be an ERROR? */       ereport(WARNING,
(errcode(ERRCODE_UNDEFINED_CURSOR),               errmsg("portal \"%s\" does not exist", stmt->portalname)));

The effect of this is that you can fetch from an undefined cursor and
(successfully) get zero rows plus this warning.  I propose that we change
this to an error.  Does anyone see a reason against this, except possibly
bugward compatibility?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Warning for undefined cursor

Date:
> In backend/commands/portalcmds.c we have
>         /* FIXME: shouldn't this be an ERROR? */

> The effect of this is that you can fetch from an undefined cursor and
> (successfully) get zero rows plus this warning.  I propose that we change
> this to an error.  Does anyone see a reason against this, except possibly
> bugward compatibility?

Backwards compatibility is the reason why it isn't an error now.

-hackers is not really the right forum to find out whether anyone is
depending on that behavior.  I'd suggest you shop the proposal around
on -general or -sql and see if you get any complaints.  (I think there
are a couple other cursor-related warnings that really oughta be errors,
too; might as well finger them all while you are at it.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Warning for undefined cursor

Date:
Peter, you have brought up some good items recently.  Are you going to
handle them or do you want them added to the TODO list or 7.4 open items
list.

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> In backend/commands/portalcmds.c we have
>
>         /* FIXME: shouldn't this be an ERROR? */
>         ereport(WARNING,
>                 (errcode(ERRCODE_UNDEFINED_CURSOR),
>                  errmsg("portal \"%s\" does not exist", stmt->portalname)));
>
> The effect of this is that you can fetch from an undefined cursor and
> (successfully) get zero rows plus this warning.  I propose that we change
> this to an error.  Does anyone see a reason against this, except possibly
> bugward compatibility?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Pennsylvania19073