Re: Warning for undefined cursor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Warning for undefined cursor
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> In backend/commands/portalcmds.c we have
>         /* FIXME: shouldn't this be an ERROR? */

> The effect of this is that you can fetch from an undefined cursor and
> (successfully) get zero rows plus this warning.  I propose that we change
> this to an error.  Does anyone see a reason against this, except possibly
> bugward compatibility?

Backwards compatibility is the reason why it isn't an error now.

-hackers is not really the right forum to find out whether anyone is
depending on that behavior.  I'd suggest you shop the proposal around
on -general or -sql and see if you get any complaints.  (I think there
are a couple other cursor-related warnings that really oughta be errors,
too; might as well finger them all while you are at it.)