tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi there,

seems we'll have 7.3.4 release. Is't worth to submit new tsearch2
module for this release ? People could play with new module
without waiting 7.4 release.
Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

Date:
We don't normally issue new features in minor releases, but for a
/contrib, we could consider it.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> seems we'll have 7.3.4 release. Is't worth to submit new tsearch2
> module for this release ? People could play with new module
> without waiting 7.4 release.
>
>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

Date:
> We don't normally issue new features in minor releases, but for a
> /contrib, we could consider it.

I can't see sticking code that hasn't been through any public beta
testing into 7.3.4.  Not even as contrib material --- how embarrassed
would you be if the contrib tree then fails to build on some platform?
7.3 is long past the point where we should be adding new features to it.

If there are people out there who want to try tsearch2 with 7.3,
let them grab a separate tarball for it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
OK. I'll suggest people to try new tsearch2 in README file of old
tsearch.
Oleg
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> > We don't normally issue new features in minor releases, but for a
> > /contrib, we could consider it.
>
> I can't see sticking code that hasn't been through any public beta
> testing into 7.3.4.  Not even as contrib material --- how embarrassed
> would you be if the contrib tree then fails to build on some platform?
> 7.3 is long past the point where we should be adding new features to it.
>
> If there are people out there who want to try tsearch2 with 7.3,
> let them grab a separate tarball for it.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> I think it's production quality. Actually, we use it in our
> projects with 7.3.3. You may read docs on tsearch2 home page
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/

You know what would be an AWESOME feature? The ability to process user
queries directly:

eg.

SELECT intindex, strtopic FROM tblmessages                                 WHERE idxfti @@ 'jam and
toast -guitar'::userquery::tsquery;

Or be able to understand stuff like:

'jam and toast or (jam -guitar)

etc., etc.

Chris

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Teodor Sigaev

idxfti @@ 'jam & toast & ! guitar'

> Or be able to understand stuff like:
>
> 'jam and toast or (jam -guitar)

'(jam & toast) | ( jam & !guitar )'

Sintax of query is boolean expression. Look at 'The tsearch2 Guide'
(http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/projects/tsearch2-guide.html).

--
Teodor Sigaev                                  E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

Date:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> OK. I'll suggest people to try new tsearch2 in README file of old
> tsearch.

Okay, that works for me.  Please patch the old tsearch README file in
both HEAD and REL7_3_STABLE branch as soon as possible --- we are going
to wrap a 7.3.4 release as soon as Bruce finds the time to make release
notes, possibly today.
        regards, tom lane

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > OK. I'll suggest people to try new tsearch2 in README file of old
> > tsearch.
>
> Okay, that works for me.  Please patch the old tsearch README file in
> both HEAD and REL7_3_STABLE branch as soon as possible --- we are going
> to wrap a 7.3.4 release as soon as Bruce finds the time to make release
> notes, possibly today.

I don't expect you wouldn't put in the information but just to highlight that
it'd be a good idea to put the location the tsearch2 tarball can picked up from
in the README.

--
Nigel Andrews

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
Patched.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > OK. I'll suggest people to try new tsearch2 in README file of old
> > tsearch.
>
> Okay, that works for me.  Please patch the old tsearch README file in
> both HEAD and REL7_3_STABLE branch as soon as possible --- we are going
> to wrap a 7.3.4 release as soon as Bruce finds the time to make release
> notes, possibly today.

Yes, today.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> > SELECT intindex, strtopic FROM tblmessages
> >                                   WHERE idxfti @@ 'jam and
> > toast -guitar'::userquery::tsquery;
>
> idxfti @@ 'jam & toast & ! guitar'

I mean, the end user - the person entering the search string on the website
won't know that syntax...

Chris

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> > I mean, the end user - the person entering the search string on the
website
> > won't know that syntax...
>
> You always could rewrite user query to that syntax.

That's why I said it would be a cool feature!  Saves every web designer from
writing the conversion code for their site - you just provide a function to
do it...

Chris

Re: tsearch2 for 7.3.X

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

Date:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > > I mean, the end user - the person entering the search string on the
> website
> > > won't know that syntax...
> >
> > You always could rewrite user query to that syntax.
>
> That's why I said it would be a cool feature!  Saves every web designer from
> writing the conversion code for their site - you just provide a function to
> do it...

feel free to write such conversion fuction and share with us.
The problem is that there are many user oriented query languages and
it's difficult to recognize which conversion funcion to use.