Putting code in main of src/backend/main/main.c

From
"S -"
Date:
HI,
We are working on a project where we want to create a single linked list
that holds information of all the locks taken or being waited for by
transactions in Postgresql. Since main in src/backend/main/main.c will be
run just once when the Postgresql starts up, can declaration and
initialization of this single linked list be put in this main?
Thank you
Sumaira

Re: Putting code in main of src/backend/main/main.c

Date:
"S -" <nat_lazy@hotmail.com> writes:
> We are working on a project where we want to create a single linked list
> that holds information of all the locks taken or being waited for by
> transactions in Postgresql.

How will you maintain such a list, when the underlying state is
constantly being changed by many different processes?

Perhaps more to the point, why would you want to?  The existing lock
status data structures in shared memory can be traversed at need.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Putting code in main of src/backend/main/main.c

From
"Sumaira Ali -"
Date:
wherewe want to create a single linked list <div></div>> > that holds information of all the locks taken or being
youmean by underlying state? And also, each each time any process (transaction)wants to acqure a lock it calls
LockAcquire(and if we put our code to update our linkedlist)and won't that ways each processes's actions be recorded in
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2737">MSN8:</a> smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

Re: Putting code in main of src/backend/main/main.c

Date:
"Sumaira Ali -" <nat_lazy@hotmail.com> writes:
> <P>What do you mean by underlying state? And also, each each time any process (transaction)wants to acqure a lock it
callsLockAcquire (and if we put our code to update our linkedlist)and won't that ways each processes's actions be
recordedin the linkedlist.</P>

Not unless you keep the linked list in shared memory --- at which point
it is surely duplicative of the lists the lock manager already maintains.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Putting code in main of src/backend/main/main.c

From
"Sumaira Ali -"
Date:
timeany process (transaction)wants to acqure a lock it calls LockAcquire (and if we put our code to update our
unlessyou keep the linked list in shared memory --- at which point <div></div>>it is surely duplicative of the lists
size="2">)the funciton that returns the all hte information relating to locks (being waited for and taken up by
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMVENUS/2746">MSN8.</a> Get 2 months FREE*.