Maximum Size for Large Object / TOASTed Object

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
Hi All,

What is the maximum size a large object can be in PostgreSQL?
What is the maximum size a TOASTed object can be in PostgreSQL?

The "PostgreSQL Limitations" page says the maximum size of a "field" is
1 Gb, but does a large object constitute a field? :)

Thanks,
Paul

--       __     /     | Paul Ramsey     | Refractions Research     | Email: pramsey@refractions.net     | Phone: (250)
885-0632    \_

Re: Maximum Size for Large Object / TOASTed Object

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What is the maximum size a large object can be in PostgreSQL?
> What is the maximum size a TOASTed object can be in PostgreSQL?
>
> The "PostgreSQL Limitations" page says the maximum size of a "field" is
> 1 Gb, but does a large object constitute a field? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

I don't know but large objects are stored in the filesystem so I presume any
limit is going to apply there. A large object isn't a field, the large object
id can, and very probably should, be stored in one though.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: Maximum Size for Large Object / TOASTed Object

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> What is the maximum size a large object can be in PostgreSQL?
> What is the maximum size a TOASTed object can be in PostgreSQL?

TOASTed fields max out at 1Gb.  Large objects max out at either 2 or 4 Gb
... I'm not sure whether we consistently use signed or unsigned
arithmetic for them.  (Probably they *should* max out at 4Gb, and if you
find any places that fail over 2Gb, those are bugs for which patches
will be gladly accepted.)
        regards, tom lane