pg_dump.options.diff

From
"Serguei Mokhov"
Date:
Hello,

Happy New Year everyone,

Attached is an attempt to eliminate duplicate pg_dump
option descriptions, and have a single description for both
short and long options. For me, as for a translator, this
eliminates the need to maintain the two, exactly same, sets of
24 sentences.

If this is accepted, using the same approach I'll go through pg_dumpall
and other tools, which suffer from the same exact problem.
If it's rejected, please advise of a better way to approach
the problem.

Needless to say, it is a pain for a translator to
properly maintain the two sets of messages for every tool PG got.

After all that is settled, I'll send translation patches in.

Thank you,
-s
pg_dump.options.diff

Re: pg_dump.options.diff

Date:
"Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov@cs.concordia.ca> writes:
> Attached is an attempt to eliminate duplicate pg_dump
> option descriptions, and have a single description for both
> short and long options. For me, as for a translator, this
> eliminates the need to maintain the two, exactly same, sets of
> 24 sentences.

Offhand, this cure strikes me as much worse than the disease.  You've
converted code which was understandable, if somewhat repetitious, into
code that can be understood by neither programmers nor translators.
The text strings have been broken into fragments that don't make any
sense individually --- which probably creates translating problems,
as well as opportunities for programmer error.

I see your complaint, but this doesn't seem like a good way to fix it.

Perhaps it would work better to do something like

#ifdef HAVE_GETOPT_LONGchar* f_option = _("-f, --file=FILENAME     ");... etc ...
#else /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */char* f_option = _("-f FILENAME             ");... etc ...
#endif /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */
printf(_("  %s output file name\n"), f_option);... etc ...

That seems to reduce the amount of duplication without breaking things
up into chunks that aren't independent concepts.

However, I'm not convinced that the above is better than what we have
--- it's really not obvious that the above is more maintainable than

#ifdef HAVE_GETOPT_LONGprintf(_("  -f, --file=FILENAME      output file name\n"));
#else /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */printf(_("  -f FILENAME              output file name\n"));
#endif /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */

There are worse things than a little repetitiveness, and creating
the opportunity to mismatch a flag with its description may well
be one of them.

Comments?  Can anyone do better?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump.options.diff

From
"Serguei Mokhov"
> Perhaps it would work better to do something like
>
> #ifdef HAVE_GETOPT_LONG
> char* f_option = _("-f, --file=FILENAME     ");
> ... etc ...
> #else /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */
> char* f_option = _("-f FILENAME             ");
> ... etc ...
> #endif /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */
>
> printf(_("  %s output file name\n"), f_option);
> ... etc ...
>
> That seems to reduce the amount of duplication without breaking things
> up into chunks that aren't independent concepts.

Thank you for your comment, Tom.

A slightly more readable version of the above could be:

> #ifdef HAVE_GETOPT_LONG
> char* data_only_option = _("-f, --file=FILENAME     ");
> char* blobs_option = _("-b, --blobs         ");
> ... etc ...
> #else /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */
> char* data_only_option = _("-f FILENAME             ");
> char* blobs_option = _("-b                 ");
> ... etc ...
> #endif /* not HAVE_GETOPT_LONG */
>
> printf(_("  %s output file name\n"), data_only_option);
> printf(_("  %s include large objects in dump\n"), blobs_option);
> ... etc ...

It loos like better than the current setup.
Either way, something has to be donw about this...

-s

Re: pg_dump.options.diff

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:44:21 -0500, "Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov@cs.concordia.ca> wrote:
>Either way, something has to be donw about this...

Just another way to do it:

#if defined(HAVE_GETOPT_LONG)
#define PARMPREFIX '='
#else
#define PARMPREFIX ' '
#endif

static void
explain_option(char *shortform, char *longform, char *parm, char *desc)
{int pos = 0;
printf("  -%s", shortform);pos += 3 + strlen(shortform);

#if defined(HAVE_GETOPT_LONG)printf(", --%s", longform);pos += 4 + strlen(longform);
#endif
if (parm) {    printf("%c%s", PARMPREFIX, parm);    pos += 1 + strlen(parm);}/*if*/
printf("%*c", 27 - pos, ' ');printf("%s\n", desc);
}/*explain_option*/

#define xo explain_optionxo("f", "file", "FILENAME", "output file name");xo("F", "format", "c|t|p", "output file format
(custom,tar, plain text)");xo("i", "ignore-version", NULL, "proceed even when server version mismatches\n"     "
                  pg_dump version");xo("v", "verbose", NULL, "verbose mode");xo("Z", "compress", "0-9", "compression
levelfor compressed formats");

This is only a quick hack, I didn't care for _() and
explain_option() could be smarter about multi line descriptions,
but you get the idea ...

ServusManfred

Autocommit off and transaction isolation level

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Hi all,

I have come across some weird behavior in postgres concerning autocommit=off
and setting the transaction isolation level. I have no explanation why
things should work as they do, so I consider this a bug, no?

With autocommit=on and normal begin; ... commit; block setting the
transaction isolation level works fine:

billing=# begin;
BEGIN
billing=# set transaction isolation level serializable;
SET
billing=# show transaction isolation level;TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL
-----------------------------SERIALIZABLE
(1 row)

billing=# commit;
COMMIT

Now setting autocommit=off the set transaction isolation level command does
not show any effect:

billing=# set autocommit to off;
SET
billing=# set transaction isolation level serializable;
SET
billing=# select current_date;   date
------------2003-01-02
(1 row)

billing=# show transaction isolation level;TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL
-----------------------------READ COMMITTED    <---- this should be SERIALIZABLE, no??
(1 row)

billing=# commit;
COMMIT

Is it a bug?
Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: pg_dump.options.diff

Date:
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
> Just another way to do it:

> #define xo explain_option
>     xo("f", "file", "FILENAME", "output file name");

Perhaps better would be:

#if defined(HAVE_GETOPT_LONG)
#define xo(long,short,desc)  printf("%-27s %s\n", long, desc)
#else
#define xo(long,short,desc)  printf("%-27s %s\n", short, desc)
#endif
xo(_("-f, --file=FILENAME"),   _("-f FILENAME"),   _("output file name"));

which avoids putting a lot of "smarts" (read: restrictions) into the
subroutine, but still keeps most of the other benefits, including:
* keeping the segments of the description together in the source code, and rationally organized from a translation
standpoint;
* only one place to change to adjust the column width.

Although it occurs to me that with the existing setup, it's possible
for the translator to unilaterally alter the column width for the
switches, which is something he'd definitely like to be able to do.
Maybe we should not try to be cute, but just do

#if defined(HAVE_GETOPT_LONG)
#define xo(long,short,desc)  printf("%s %s\n", long, desc)
#else
#define xo(long,short,desc)  printf("%s %s\n", short, desc)
#endif
xo(_("-f, --file=FILENAME    "),   _("-f FILENAME            "),   _("output file name"));

so that the column spacing remains under control of the translator.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Autocommit off and transaction isolation level

Date:
"Michael Paesold" <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
> Now setting autocommit=off the set transaction isolation level command does
> not show any effect:

> billing=# set autocommit to off;
> SET
> billing=# set transaction isolation level serializable;
> SET

SET does not start a transaction block, so this will not work.  You must
use an explicit BEGIN before setting TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL.

You might instead set default_transaction_isolation to get the behavior
I think you are looking for.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Autocommit off and transaction isolation level

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
> > Now setting autocommit=off the set transaction isolation level command does
> > not show any effect:
>
> > billing=# set autocommit to off;
> > SET
> > billing=# set transaction isolation level serializable;
> > SET
>
> SET does not start a transaction block, so this will not work.  You must
> use an explicit BEGIN before setting TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL.
>
> You might instead set default_transaction_isolation to get the behavior
> I think you are looking for.

The overall behavior appears to be against spec, but I figure this was
discussed at the time the set transation was added.

Re: pg_dump.options.diff

From
"Serguei Mokhov"