Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?

From
mlw
Date:
I am working on getting a shrink-wrapped version of PostgreSQL for Windows

Currently it installs a customized version of Cygwin, PostgreSQL 7.2.3,
cygipc, psqlodbc, and pgadminII

I currently have the setup done.

The target audience is not the enterprise, it is aimed at people using
Access wanting to upgrade.

I've looked long and hard and can't find any license issues. Does anyone
know of any that I may have missed? As far as I can see, as long as I
maintain GPL restrictions, I should be fine.

Re: Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

No problems with pgAdmin, though I do have to wonder how you've done the
installer?

Regards, Dave.

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Date:
> I've looked long and hard and can't find any license issues. Does anyone
> know of any that I may have missed? As far as I can see, as long as I
> maintain GPL restrictions, I should be fine.

PostgreSQL isn't licensed under the GPL, so it sounds to me as though you're
confused about the licensing issues.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lsf.html

Re: Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

No, I don't think he is - Cygwin is GPL and psqlODBC is LGPL.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Brute force, of course!

Seriously, I have hidden the cygwin environment and simply called it
PostgreSQL. I am managing all he environment variables in my installer,
and I am using Windows batch files to start bash which executes the
PostgreSQL comands.

I am using PGAdmin as the administration tool

It really looks slick

Re: Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

I was thinking more about how you've dealt with installing pgAdmin, or
have you left it seperate? If you need any help with that side of it,
just let me know...

Sounds good though...

Regards, Dave (aka dave@pgadmin.org).

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:

>>I've looked long and hard and can't find any license issues. Does anyone
>>know of any that I may have missed? As far as I can see, as long as I
>>maintain GPL restrictions, I should be fine.
>>

>PostgreSQL isn't licensed under the GPL, so it sounds to me as though you're
>confused about the licensing issues.

I'm not confused about the licensing issues. PostgreSQL is less
restrictive than is GPL. Maybe I should have phrased it as the most
restrictive license is GPL, so as long as I maintain GPL restrictions I
should be fine.

>--
>(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
>http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lsf.html
>"My mom said she learned how to swim. Someone took her out in the lake
>and threw  her off  the boat. That's  how she  learned how to  swim. I
>said, 'Mom, they  weren't trying to teach you how  to swim.' "
>-- Paula Poundstone

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> Brute force, of course!
>
> Seriously, I have hidden the cygwin environment and simply called it
> PostgreSQL. I am managing all he environment variables in my installer,
> and I am using Windows batch files to start bash which executes the
> PostgreSQL comands.
>
> I am using PGAdmin as the administration tool
>
> It really looks slick

We've done great things at our office, using the free NullSoft installer
(WinAmp):

http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/nsis/

Chris