Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
I have been serving my email/web/ftp using a 56k modem for the past two
months at candle.pha.pa.us (which is also momjian.postgresql.org).  Are
people finding it slow?  I am going to be getting a higher speed
connection and I need to know so I can choose the proper upgrade speed.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
> I have been serving my email/web/ftp using a 56k modem for the past two
> months at candle.pha.pa.us (which is also momjian.postgresql.org).  Are
> people finding it slow?

Yeah.  I don't use your docs build anymore unless I really have to...
the one at hub.org is much more responsive.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have been serving my email/web/ftp using a 56k modem for the past two
> > months at candle.pha.pa.us (which is also momjian.postgresql.org).  Are
> > people finding it slow?
>
> Yeah.  I don't use your docs build anymore unless I really have to...
> the one at hub.org is much more responsive.

Oh, that is a problem. Thanks.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Yeah.  I don't use your docs build anymore unless I really have to...
> > the one at hub.org is much more responsive.
>
> Oh, that is a problem. Thanks.

Why do we have two doc builds anyway?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
> Why do we have two doc builds anyway?

Mainly because Bruce is willing to expend the cycles to rebuild his
nearly on-demand.  Last I checked, the build on hub is only updated
once or twice a day, so it's not as useful for verifying doc checkins.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Why do we have two doc builds anyway?
>
> Mainly because Bruce is willing to expend the cycles to rebuild his
> nearly on-demand.  Last I checked, the build on hub is only updated
> once or twice a day, so it's not as useful for verifying doc checkins.

'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?  What command on hub
has to be run?

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> Mainly because Bruce is willing to expend the cycles to rebuild his
>> nearly on-demand.  Last I checked, the build on hub is only updated
>> once or twice a day, so it's not as useful for verifying doc checkins.

> 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?  What command on hub
> has to be run?

AFAICT, Bruce does a "cvs update" every ten or fifteen minutes and then
rebuilds the docs if anything changed in the doc subtree.  Bruce, maybe
you could send Marc the script you use?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
Sure, script attached.  It uses a few of my other scripts so it will
need customization.  I can easily supply those missing scripts too.
I run it every 7 minutes from cron with:

    */7 * * * *     root /letc/pgsgml >/dev/null 2>&1

I can even install the whole thing on postgresql.org if you wish.  It
requires a personal crontab, of course, and a directory to put the
result.  I already have a ~momjian web directory for such stuff.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >> Mainly because Bruce is willing to expend the cycles to rebuild his
> >> nearly on-demand.  Last I checked, the build on hub is only updated
> >> once or twice a day, so it's not as useful for verifying doc checkins.
>
> > 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?  What command on hub
> > has to be run?
>
> AFAICT, Bruce does a "cvs update" every ten or fifteen minutes and then
> rebuilds the docs if anything changed in the doc subtree.  Bruce, maybe
> you could send Marc the script you use?
>
>             regards, tom lane

:

cd /pgsgmlbuild

[ -f /tmp/pgsql_sgml.lock ] && exit

TRAPEXTRAFILE="/tmp/pgsql_sgml.lock"
. traprm

touch /tmp/pgsql_sgml.lock

> $TMP/1

while :
do
    CONT="N"
    if [ "X$1" = "X-f" ]
    then    CONT="Y"
        shift
    else    pgcvs update sgml > $TMP/2 2>&1 &
        BG="$!"; export BG
        (sleep 300; kill "$BG" > /dev/null 2>&1) &
        BG2="$!"; export BG2
        wait "$BG"
        if ! kill0 "$BG2"
        then    CONT="N"
        else    kill "$BG2" > /dev/null 2>&1
            CONT="Y"
            cat $TMP/2 |
            grep '^[A-Z] sgml/' > $TMP/1
            [ "$?" -ne 0 ] && CONT="N"
        fi
    fi
    if [ "$CONT" = "N" ]
    then    break
    fi

    # continue
    echo "\nBuild:  `date`" >> build.dates
    cat $TMP/1  >> build.dates
    echo "PostgreSQL CVS Documentation Build" > $TMP/0
    echo "----------------------------------\n" >> $TMP/0
    echo "Build started:  `date`" >> $TMP/0
    gmake postgres.tar.gz 2>&1 | grep -v DTDDECL > $TMP/2
    echo "Build completed:  `date`\n" >> $TMP/0
    echo "Changes in this build:" >> $TMP/0
    cat $TMP/1 >> $TMP/0
    echo "\nA full copy of this documenation is at ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/postgresql-docs.tar.gz\n"  >>
$TMP/0
    if grep -qi 'error' $TMP/2 || grep -qi ':E:' $TMP/2
    then    echo "\nThere were errors in this build.  They appear in red.\n" >> $TMP/0
        cat $TMP/2 >> $TMP/0
    else    echo "\nBuild completed successfully." >> $TMP/0
    fi
    pipe sed 's;HTML.manifest:;HTML.manifest :;g' $TMP/0
    txt2html -m -s 100 -p 100 --title "PostgreSQL CVS Docs built `date`" \
    --link /u/txt2html/txt2html.dict \
    --append_head /u/txt2html/BODY $TMP/0 > build.html
    pipe sed 's;^.*[Ee]rror.*$;<FONT COLOR="RED">&</FONT>;' build.html
    pipe sed 's;^.*:E:.*$;<FONT COLOR="RED">&</FONT>;' build.html
    rm -f /var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/*
    mv sgml/*.html build.html /var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgml
    cp sgml/*.css sgml/*.gif /var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgml
    cp postgres.tar.gz /pgftp/postgresql-docs.tar.gz
    gmake clean > /dev/null 2>&1
    [ "X$1" = "X-f" ] && break
done

Date:
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sure, script attached.  It uses a few of my other scripts so it will
> need customization.  I can easily supply those missing scripts too.
> I run it every 7 minutes from cron with:
>
>     */7 * * * *     root /letc/pgsgml >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> I can even install the whole thing on postgresql.org if you wish.  It
> requires a personal crontab, of course, and a directory to put the
> result.  I already have a ~momjian web directory for such stuff.

Actually, from my read through the docs on CVS itself, there is a way of
setting it up so that when something is committed, it runs an external
program ... I'll have to do some further research on it, but I should be
able to set it up so that when someone commits something to docs, it does
the build ...

Can you setup your scripts on postgresql.org, and let me know where/what
to run, and I'll see if I can get that setup?

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 21:40, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > Sure, script attached.  It uses a few of my other scripts so it will
> > need customization.  I can easily supply those missing scripts too.
> > I run it every 7 minutes from cron with:
> >
> >     */7 * * * *     root /letc/pgsgml >/dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > I can even install the whole thing on postgresql.org if you wish.  It
> > requires a personal crontab, of course, and a directory to put the
> > result.  I already have a ~momjian web directory for such stuff.
>
> Actually, from my read through the docs on CVS itself, there is a way of
> setting it up so that when something is committed, it runs an external

One way is to change the DEFAULT in CVSROOT/loginfo.  Normally its a log
accumulator or email system of somekind.  But there is no reason it
couldn't be more complex and kick off additional jobs.

Just make sure whatever it is execs a background jobs (commits are held
during execution of the script) and protect against simultaneous runs of
the background job.

 Rod Taylor

Date:
> 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?

If you say it's OK then no.  I've made it run every 15 minutes now.

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?
>
> If you say it's OK then no.  I've made it run every 15 minutes now.

Will it run unconditionally or only on a CVS SGML change?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Is my Internet connection slow

Date:
I have ordered 128k ISDN, to be installed on November 12th.  I am too
far for ADSL but I hope the distances will increase in the future.

Date:
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?
>
> If you say it's OK then no.  I've made it run every 15 minutes now.

Is there any way of making it conditional on a change?  I'm not sure how
the script is working, but if it involves doing a 'cvs update', if you
added in a check to see if anything got updated and generate if so, then
there is no reason why it couldn't be run every 5 minutes ...

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > > 'k, is there a reason why it can't be run more often?
> >
> > If you say it's OK then no.  I've made it run every 15 minutes now.
>
> Will it run unconditionally or only on a CVS SGML change?

It will run when anything in CVS changes, which is something yours appears
to get wrong, because it still thinks it's 7.3devel.

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > If you say it's OK then no.  I've made it run every 15 minutes now.
> >
> > Will it run unconditionally or only on a CVS SGML change?
>
> It will run when anything in CVS changes, which is something yours appears
> to get wrong, because it still thinks it's 7.3devel.

It should only run when src/sgml changes, not any CVS change.  And, why
do you think mine looks at 7.3devel?

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > Will it run unconditionally or only on a CVS SGML change?
> >
> > It will run when anything in CVS changes, which is something yours appears
> > to get wrong, because it still thinks it's 7.3devel.
>
> It should only run when src/sgml changes, not any CVS change.  And, why
> do you think mine looks at 7.3devel?

OK, I figured out why it thought it was 7.3devel. I don't update
configure as part of the update, just doc/src/sgml.  Updated now.

Pennsylvania19073