PG, Crystal Reports, Stored Procedures and User Defined Functions

From
Philip Rhoades
Date:
People,

I posted this to the general list with no response so this is the next
step . .

I have a client that I have just changed over to PG 7.2.3 and despite
the early teething problems things are going pretty well.  There are,
however, a few more difficult problems to do with reporting via Crystal
Reports that could easily be solved by Stored Procedures but these
don't exist in PG.  The User Definable Functions, which would be able
to do the job, are not visible to CR.

There is a white paper from Crystal Decisions about how Oracle Stored
Procedures are packaged to enable them to be used by CR.

http://support.crystaldecisions.com/library/kbase/articles/c2010910.asp

Maybe the issue really lies with psqlODBC?

Does anyone know anything about this area?  If you do, do you think it
might be possible to also package PG functions to look like stored
procedures to CR?  If, so is anyone interested in doing the (paid)
work?  I am quite happy for the result to be GPLd.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN  003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW    2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652
Fax:  +61:2:8923-5363
E-mail:  pri@chu.com.au
----- End Forwarded Message -----

--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN  003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW    2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652
Fax:  +61:2:8923-5363
E-mail:  pri@chu.com.au

Re: PG, Crystal Reports, Stored Procedures and User Defined

Date:
7.3beta has much more powerful stored procedures.  Basically, you can
put function names in the FROM clause of a SELECT.  I recommend you try
that and then let us know exactly what is failing with Crystal Reports.
It may be just a syntax issue, or something more major.

Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I posted this to the general list with no response so this is the next
> step . .
>
> I have a client that I have just changed over to PG 7.2.3 and despite
> the early teething problems things are going pretty well.  There are,
> however, a few more difficult problems to do with reporting via Crystal
> Reports that could easily be solved by Stored Procedures but these
> don't exist in PG.  The User Definable Functions, which would be able
> to do the job, are not visible to CR.
>
> There is a white paper from Crystal Decisions about how Oracle Stored
> Procedures are packaged to enable them to be used by CR.
>
> http://support.crystaldecisions.com/library/kbase/articles/c2010910.asp
>
> Maybe the issue really lies with psqlODBC?
>
> Does anyone know anything about this area?  If you do, do you think it
> might be possible to also package PG functions to look like stored
> procedures to CR?  If, so is anyone interested in doing the (paid)
> work?  I am quite happy for the result to be GPLd.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> --
> Philip Rhoades