pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
A lot of different things going on but my perl program (whose backend crashed)
was doing a lot of insert into table as select * from another table for a
lot of different tables. I see triggers referenced here and it should be
noted that for one of the tables the triggers were first disabled (update
pg_class) and re-enabled after the inserts are done (or it takes forever).

The pgsql log shows:
2002-10-08 15:48:38 [18033]  DEBUG:  recycled transaction log file
00000052000000B1
2002-10-08 15:49:24 [28612]  DEBUG:  server process (pid 16003) was
terminated by signal 11
2002-10-08 15:49:24 [28612]  DEBUG:  terminating any other active server
processes
2002-10-08 18:49:24 [28616]  NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:       The Postmaster has informed me that some
otherbackend       died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.       I have rolled back the current
transactionand am       going to terminate your database system connection and exit.       Please reconnect to the
databasesystem and repeat your query.

A core file was found in <datadir>/base/326602604
and a backtrace shows:
(gdb) bt
#0  DeferredTriggerSaveEvent (relinfo=0x83335f0, event=0, oldtup=0x0,   newtup=0x8348150) at trigger.c:2056
#1  0x080b9d0c in ExecARInsertTriggers (estate=0x8333778,
relinfo=0x83335f0,   trigtuple=0x8348150) at trigger.c:952
#2  0x080c0f23 in ExecAppend (slot=0x8333660, tupleid=0x0,
estate=0x8333778)   at execMain.c:1280
#3  0x080c0dcd in ExecutePlan (estate=0x8333778, plan=0x83336f0,   operation=CMD_INSERT, numberTuples=0,
direction=ForwardScanDirection,  destfunc=0x8334278) at execMain.c:1119

#4  0x080c026c in ExecutorRun (queryDesc=0x826fd88, estate=0x8333778,
feature=3,   count=0) at execMain.c:233
#5  0x0810b2d5 in ProcessQuery (parsetree=0x826c500, plan=0x83336f0,
dest=Remote,   completionTag=0xbfffec10 "") at pquery.c:259
#6  0x08109c83 in pg_exec_query_string (   query_string=0x826c168 "insert into jobsequences select * from
rev_000_jobsequences", dest=Remote, parse_context=0x8242cd8) at
postgres.c:811
#7  0x0810abee in PostgresMain (argc=4, argv=0xbfffee40,   username=0x8202d59 "laurette") at postgres.c:1929
#8  0x080f24fe in DoBackend (port=0x8202c28) at postmaster.c:2243
#9  0x080f1e9a in BackendStartup (port=0x8202c28) at postmaster.c:1874
#10 0x080f10e9 in ServerLoop () at postmaster.c:995
#11 0x080f0c56 in PostmasterMain (argc=1, argv=0x81eb398) at
postmaster.c:771
#12 0x080d172b in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff7d4) at main.c:206
#13 0x401e7177 in __libc_start_main (main=0x80d15a8 <main>, argc=1,   ubp_av=0xbffff7d4, init=0x80676ac <_init>,
fini=0x81554f0<_fini>,   rtld_fini=0x4000e184 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffff7cc)   at
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:129

Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
------------------------------
It's 10 o'clock...
Do you know where your bus is?

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

Date:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> A core file was found in <datadir>/base/326602604
> and a backtrace shows:
> (gdb) bt
> #0  DeferredTriggerSaveEvent (relinfo=0x83335f0, event=0, oldtup=0x0,
>     newtup=0x8348150) at trigger.c:2056

Hm.  Line 2056 is this:
for (i = 0; i < ntriggers; i++){    Trigger    *trigger = &trigdesc->triggers[tgindx[i]];

->        new_event->dte_item[i].dti_tgoid = trigger->tgoid;

It seems there must be something wrong with the trigdesc data structure
for that table, but what?  Can you poke around in the corefile with gdb
print commands and determine what's wrong with the trigdesc?

> I see triggers referenced here and it should be
> noted that for one of the tables the triggers were first disabled (update
> pg_class) and re-enabled after the inserts are done (or it takes
> forever).

Did that happen while this backend was running?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> > A core file was found in <datadir>/base/326602604
> > and a backtrace shows:
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  DeferredTriggerSaveEvent (relinfo=0x83335f0, event=0, oldtup=0x0,
> >     newtup=0x8348150) at trigger.c:2056
>
> Hm.  Line 2056 is this:
>
>     for (i = 0; i < ntriggers; i++)
>     {
>         Trigger    *trigger = &trigdesc->triggers[tgindx[i]];
>
> ->        new_event->dte_item[i].dti_tgoid = trigger->tgoid;
>
> It seems there must be something wrong with the trigdesc data structure
> for that table, but what?  Can you poke around in the corefile with gdb
> print commands and determine what's wrong with the trigdesc?

Here's my poking/printing around with gdb:
(gdb) print trigger
$1 = (Trigger *) 0x1272c9a0
(gdb) print *trigger
Cannot access memory at address 0x1272c9a0
(gdb) print trigger->tgoid
Cannot access memory at address 0x1272c9a0
(gdb) print trigdesc
$2 = (TriggerDesc *) 0x4c86b2d8
(gdb) print &trigdesc
$3 = (TriggerDesc **) 0xbfffea18
(gdb) print *trigdesc
$4 = {n_before_statement = {5378, 22310, 37184, 2085}, n_before_row =
{51128, 19585,   62320, 19589}, n_after_row = {45784, 19590, 52748, 2084},
n_after_statement = {   0, 0, 0, 0}, tg_before_statement = {0x4c86b2d8, 0x8259910, 0x0, 0x0}, tg_before_row = {0xa0,
0x350000,0x1f, 0x4006}, tg_after_row =

{0x8242920,   0x4c860cb0, 0x4c86eec0, 0x0}, tg_after_statement = {0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0}, triggers = 0x4c86e7a0, numtriggers = 8}

> > I see triggers referenced here and it should be
> > noted that for one of the tables the triggers were first disabled (update
> > pg_class) and re-enabled after the inserts are done (or it takes
> > forever).
>
> Did that happen while this backend was running?

Yes.  I had run this perl program about 4-5 times in a row (which includes
the sequence, disable triggers, insert rows, enable triggers) and then it
crashed on one of the runs.

Date:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> I see triggers referenced here and it should be
> noted that for one of the tables the triggers were first disabled (update
> pg_class) and re-enabled after the inserts are done (or it takes
> forever).
>>
>> Did that happen while this backend was running?

> Yes.  I had run this perl program about 4-5 times in a row (which includes
> the sequence, disable triggers, insert rows, enable triggers) and then it
> crashed on one of the runs.

Hm.  The stack trace shows that this backend crashed while executing the
commandinsert into jobsequences select * from rev_000_jobsequences
Is it possible that you disabled and re-enabled triggers on jobsequences
*while this command was running* ?

The gdb info makes it look like the triggers code is using a stale
trigger description structure.  The pointer that's being used is cached
in the ResultRelInfo struct (ri_TrigDesc) during query startup.  If
some external operation changed the trigger state while the query is
running, trouble would ensue.

This looks like something we ought to fix in any case, but I'm unsure
whether it explains your crash.  Do you think that that's what could
have happened?

Hackers: we might reasonably fix this by doing a deep copy of the
relcache's trigger info during initResultRelInfo(); or we could fix it
by getting rid of ri_TrigDesc and re-fetching from the relcache every
time.  The former would imply that trigger state would remain unchanged
throughout a query, the latter would try to track currently-committed
trigger behavior.  Either way has got pitfalls I think.

The fact that there's a problem at all is because people are using
direct poking of the system catalogs instead of some kind of ALTER TABLE
command to disable/enable triggers; an ALTER command would presumably
gain exclusive lock on the table and thereby delay until active queries
finish.  But that technique is out there (even in pg_dump files :-() and
so we'd best try to make the system proof against it.

Any thoughts on which way to go?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Joe Conway
Tom Lane wrote:
> Hackers: we might reasonably fix this by doing a deep copy of the
> relcache's trigger info during initResultRelInfo(); or we could fix it
> by getting rid of ri_TrigDesc and re-fetching from the relcache every
> time.  The former would imply that trigger state would remain unchanged
> throughout a query, the latter would try to track currently-committed
> trigger behavior.  Either way has got pitfalls I think.
>
> The fact that there's a problem at all is because people are using
> direct poking of the system catalogs instead of some kind of ALTER TABLE
> command to disable/enable triggers; an ALTER command would presumably
> gain exclusive lock on the table and thereby delay until active queries
> finish.  But that technique is out there (even in pg_dump files :-() and
> so we'd best try to make the system proof against it.
>
> Any thoughts on which way to go?

I'd say:

1. go with the former
2. we definitely should also have an ALTER command to allow disable/enable of   triggers
3. along with the ALTER, document that directly messing with the system   catalogs is highly discouraged

Joe

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Gavin Sherry
> > Hackers: we might reasonably fix this by doing a deep copy of the
> > relcache's trigger info during initResultRelInfo(); or we could fix it
> > by getting rid of ri_TrigDesc and re-fetching from the relcache every
> > time.  The former would imply that trigger state would remain unchanged
> > throughout a query, the latter would try to track currently-committed
> > trigger behavior.  Either way has got pitfalls I think.
> >
> > The fact that there's a problem at all is because people are using
> > direct poking of the system catalogs instead of some kind of ALTER TABLE
> > command to disable/enable triggers; an ALTER command would presumably
> > gain exclusive lock on the table and thereby delay until active queries
> > finish.  But that technique is out there (even in pg_dump files :-() and
> > so we'd best try to make the system proof against it.
> >
> > Any thoughts on which way to go?
>
> I'd say:
>
> 1. go with the former

I agree.

> 2. we definitely should also have an ALTER command to allow disable/enable of
>     triggers

I thought this was worked on for 7.3? I remember speaking to someone
(?) at OSCON because I had been working on 'ENABLE TRIGGER <trigname>' and
is compliment on the plane. Much of the work seemed to have been in CVS
already.

Gavin

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

> > > Hackers: we might reasonably fix this by doing a deep copy of the
> > > relcache's trigger info during initResultRelInfo(); or we could fix it
> > > by getting rid of ri_TrigDesc and re-fetching from the relcache every
> > > time.  The former would imply that trigger state would remain unchanged
> > > throughout a query, the latter would try to track currently-committed
> > > trigger behavior.  Either way has got pitfalls I think.
> > >
> > > The fact that there's a problem at all is because people are using
> > > direct poking of the system catalogs instead of some kind of ALTER TABLE
> > > command to disable/enable triggers; an ALTER command would presumably
> > > gain exclusive lock on the table and thereby delay until active queries
> > > finish.  But that technique is out there (even in pg_dump files :-() and
> > > so we'd best try to make the system proof against it.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on which way to go?
> >
> > I'd say:
> >
> > 1. go with the former
>
> I agree.
>
> > 2. we definitely should also have an ALTER command to allow disable/enable of
> >     triggers
>
> I thought this was worked on for 7.3? I remember speaking to someone
> (?) at OSCON because I had been working on 'ENABLE TRIGGER <trigname>' and
> is compliment on the plane. Much of the work seemed to have been in CVS
> already.

It is in TODO:
* Allow triggers to be disabled [trigger]

From the TODO.detail archives, it seems it got stuck on an
implementation issue:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/mhonarc/todo.detail/trigger/msg00001.html

The patch didn't prevent deferred contraint triggers from being fired.

Pennsylvania19073

Disabling triggers (was Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash)

>>> Hackers: we might reasonably fix this by doing a deep copy of the
>>> relcache's trigger info during initResultRelInfo(); or we could fix it
>>> by getting rid of ri_TrigDesc and re-fetching from the relcache every
>>> time.  The former would imply that trigger state would remain unchanged
>>> throughout a query, the latter would try to track currently-committed
>>> trigger behavior.  Either way has got pitfalls I think.

>>> Any thoughts on which way to go?

>> I'd say:
>> 1. go with the former

> I agree.

That's my leaning too, after further reflection.  Will make it so.

>> 2. we definitely should also have an ALTER command to allow
>> disable/enable of triggers

> I thought this was worked on for 7.3?

Unless I missed it, it's not in current sources.

I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
backend.  Any thoughts about that?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Disabling triggers (was Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash)

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
> to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
> implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
> the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
> happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
> backend.  Any thoughts about that?

I may be missing something here, but the only circumstance where i could
see such being useful would be a load of a database ... other then that,
how would overriding triggers be considered a good thing?

Tom Lane wrote:
> I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
> to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
> implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
> the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
> happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
> backend.  Any thoughts about that?

I think SET would be the proper place, but I don't see how to make it
table-specific.

Pennsylvania19073

Tom Lane wrote:
> I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
> to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
> implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
> the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
> happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
> backend.  Any thoughts about that?

Hmmm. Well the most common uses I've run across for disabling triggers in the  Oracle Apps world are:

1) bulk loading of data
2) temporarily turning off "workflow" procedures

The first case would benefit from being able to disable the trigger locally,
without affecting other backends. Of course, I don't know how common it is to
bulk load data while others are hitting the same table.

The second case is usually something like an insert into the employee table
fires off an email to IT to create a login and security to make a badge.
Commonly we turn off workflows (by disabling their related triggers) in our
development and test databases so someone doesn't disable the CEO's login when
we fire him as part of our testing! I think in this scenario it is better to
be able to disable the trigger globally ;-)

Joe

Re: Disabling triggers (was Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash)

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
>> to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
>> implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
>> the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
>> happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
>> backend.  Any thoughts about that?

> I may be missing something here, but the only circumstance where i could
> see such being useful would be a load of a database ... other then that,
> how would overriding triggers be considered a good thing?

Well, exactly: it seems like something you'd want to constrain as
tightly as possible.  So some kind of local, SET-like operation seems
safer to me than a global, ALTER-TABLE-like operation.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
Yeah I think that could have happened since I was running it several times and had
cancelled it (ctrl-c) it a couple of those times.  Could be the backend of one
cancelled run hadn't finished what it was doing and if that was renabling
triggers it could have walked on it.

Thanks.

L.

--

Date:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> Yeah I think that could have happened since I was running it several times and had
> cancelled it (ctrl-c) it a couple of those times.  Could be the backend of one
> cancelled run hadn't finished what it was doing and if that was renabling
> triggers it could have walked on it.

Sounds like we've got the explanation, then.

I've just committed fixes into 7.3 to prevent this scenario in future.
The patch is probably too large to risk back-patching into 7.2.* though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
Great.  I am working my way toward 7.3 anyway...

Thanks!

L.

--

Date:
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:

> >> I'd say:
> >> 1. go with the former
>
> > I agree.
>
> That's my leaning too, after further reflection.  Will make it so.
>
> >> 2. we definitely should also have an ALTER command to allow
> >> disable/enable of triggers
>
> > I thought this was worked on for 7.3?
>
> Unless I missed it, it's not in current sources.

Here is an email I sent to pgsql-patches.

--- BEGIN