Beta1 schedule

Date:
OK, I talked to Marc and he is going to package up beta1 tonight.

Any more changes to HISTORY?

I want to run pgindent in an hour.  Does anyone have a problem with
that?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Beta1 schedule

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> Any more changes to HISTORY?

This is missing:

- Implemented START TRANSACTION, per SQL99 (Neil)

This was implemented by Peter, I think:

- Add privileges on functions and procedural languages

This was done by Tom, IIRC:

- Triggers are now fired in alphabetical order

This could probably be better phrased:

- Have PL/PgSQL FOUND return proper value for PERFORM and SELECT INTO (Tom, Neil)

As (reword as necessary):

- Overhaul the PL/PgSQL FOUND magic variable to be more Oracle-compatible, and generally more sane. (Tom, Neil)

This was implemented by me and Jukka Holappa:

- Clean up use of sprintf in favor of snprintf()

Tom did some work on this as well as Chris, I believe:

- Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher)

I didn't see any mention of Tom's recent changes to the on-disk array
storage format, but I might have just missed that.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Beta1 schedule

Date:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 03:17, Neil Conway wrote:
> >
> > Tom did some work on this as well as Chris, I believe:
> >
> > - Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher)
>
> IIRC, some of it was originally based on Hiroshi's earlyer trial code,
> so he should probably be mentioned as well ?

Yes, absolutely:
Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher, Hiroshi)

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Beta1 schedule

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Any more changes to HISTORY?
>
> This is missing:
>
> - Implemented START TRANSACTION, per SQL99 (Neil)

Done.  I didn't mention it earlier because I was unsure of its
significance.

> This was implemented by Peter, I think:
>
> - Add privileges on functions and procedural languages

Yep, fixed.

> This was done by Tom, IIRC:
>
> - Triggers are now fired in alphabetical order

Yep, Tom.

> This could probably be better phrased:
>
> - Have PL/PgSQL FOUND return proper value for PERFORM and SELECT INTO
>   (Tom, Neil)

Done.

> As (reword as necessary):
>
> - Overhaul the PL/PgSQL FOUND magic variable to be more
>   Oracle-compatible, and generally more sane. (Tom, Neil)
>
> This was implemented by me and Jukka Holappa:
>
> - Clean up use of sprintf in favor of snprintf()

Added.

> Tom did some work on this as well as Chris, I believe:
>
> - Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher)

Added.

> I didn't see any mention of Tom's recent changes to the on-disk array
> storage format, but I might have just missed that.

I already see it.  I added Tom's name too:

Cleanups in array internal handling (Joe, Tom)

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Beta1 schedule

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 03:17, Neil Conway wrote:
> > >
> > > Tom did some work on this as well as Chris, I believe:
> > >
> > > - Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher)
> >
> > IIRC, some of it was originally based on Hiroshi's earlyer trial code,
> > so he should probably be mentioned as well ?
>
> Yes, absolutely:
>
>     Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher, Hiroshi)

While we're competing for the humble award, you might want to add Tom to
that list...

Chris

Re: Beta1 schedule

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
It would be far simpler to put each of the core teams names on the top
of the history file in big bold letters -- or perhaps a watermark in the
background ;)

> While we're competing for the humble award, you might want to add Tom to
> that list...

Re: Beta1 schedule

Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > > IIRC, some of it was originally based on Hiroshi's earlyer trial code,
> > > so he should probably be mentioned as well ?
> >
> > Yes, absolutely:
> >
> >     Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher, Hiroshi)
>
> While we're competing for the humble award, you might want to add Tom to
> that list...

Already done, with Hiroshi too:
Add ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN (Christopher, Tom, Hiroshi)

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Beta1 schedule

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Line 72 of the HISTORY file (the one in 7.3b1 that Marc just packaged) reads:

* Pre-6.3 clients are no longer supported.

Is that supposed to be 7.3? I assume you're referring to the catalog changes,
&c. that make old clients that are dependent on them behave incorrectly.

Regards,Jeff Davis

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 10:09 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, I talked to Marc and he is going to package up beta1 tonight.
>
> Any more changes to HISTORY?
>
> I want to run pgindent in an hour.  Does anyone have a problem with
> that?

Re: Beta1 schedule

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> * Pre-6.3 clients are no longer supported.
>
> Is that supposed to be 7.3? I assume you're referring to the
> catalog changes,
> &c. that make old clients that are dependent on them behave incorrectly.
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis

No, he's referring to the on-the-wire protocol.  This means that the psql
program that came with 6.2 will not work with 7.3, but the 7.2 psql will
still (mostly) work.

Chris