Object Oriented Features

From
Nishkala
Date:
I am a student doing my graduation in India. I want to know what are the
other OODBMS features ( other than inheritance ) available
in PostGreSQL. It would be great if you can help me out with some
information regarding this.

Thanks,
Nishkala

--
Being yourself in the world which is constantly trying to change you to something else is the biggest challenge

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:13:26AM +0530, Nishkala wrote:

> I am a student doing my graduation in India. I want to know what are the
> other OODBMS features ( other than inheritance ) available
> in PostGreSQL. It would be great if you can help me out with some
> information regarding this.
The PostgreSQL is "Object-Relational DBMS" and not clean "Object Oriented".The good and short description about DBs
typesyou can read at

   http://wwwinfo.cern.ch/db/aboutdbs/classification/
I think most of the current used SQL DBs are "Object-Relational".
OO in PostgreSQL means that you can create own operators, datetypes, functions...   Something about really Object
Orientedyou can found at:

   http://www.odbmsfacts.com/

       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Karel,

>  OO in PostgreSQL means that you can create own operators, datetypes,
functions...

Last I checked, all of these things were part of the SQL spec.   I believe our
only "OO" functionality is inheritance ... which I have yet to find a use
for.

Of course, I agree with Fabian Pascal, who claims that every OODBMS "feature"
has an answer in the SQL spec that is more consistent and better thought out.

--
-Josh Berkus

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
"Christopher Clark"
Date:
> Last I checked, all of these things were part of the SQL spec.   I believe
our
> only "OO" functionality is inheritance ... which I have yet to find a use
> for.
 Well, it's lower maintenance than the 14-clause SELECT...UNION...UNION...
I'd have to write for ``correct'' code, in my current project.  :-)

--
Christopher Clark <clark@compudata-systems.com>
Pongidae, and proud of it.

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 03:21, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Karel,
>

> >  OO in PostgreSQL means that you can create own operators, datetypes,
> functions...
>
> Last I checked, all of these things were part of the SQL spec.   I believe our
> only "OO" functionality is inheritance ...

Actually _single_ inheritance is also part of SQL99

create table ... under ...

> which I have yet to find a use for.

It will become much more useful once implemented more thoroughly ;)

---------------
Hannu

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> >  OO in PostgreSQL means that you can create own operators, datetypes,
> functions...
>
> Last I checked, all of these things were part of the SQL spec.   I believe our
> only "OO" functionality is inheritance ... which I have yet to find a use
> for.

Can you tell me what the SQL99 spec says regarding creation of
operators? I couldn't find them.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Object Oriented Features

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > >  OO in PostgreSQL means that you can create own operators, datetypes,
> > functions...
> > Last I checked, all of these things were part of the SQL spec.   I believe our
> > only "OO" functionality is inheritance ... which I have yet to find a use
> > for.
> Can you tell me what the SQL99 spec says regarding creation of
> operators? I couldn't find them.

I haven't gone back and looked, but I recall that the spec makes some
mention of operators in the context of defining new functions. I don't
think there is anything about defining operators not already in SQL, but
only (if anything at all) about extending existing operators to new data
types.
                  - Thomas