Will postgress handle too big tables?

From
Yuva Chandolu
Date:
Hi,

We are moving to Postgres from Oracle. We have a few tables that have around
8 to 10 millions of rows and their size increases very rapidly(deletions are
very less on these tables). How will Postgres hanlde very big tables like
this? or would it be very slow when compared to Oracle? Do you have any case
studies in this regd?

Also anyone know of any perticular documentation/links that talks
specifically about "migrating to Postgres from Oracle"?, Please let me know
if you have kind of document that would be of great use to us.

Thanks
Yuva
Sr. Java Developer
http://www.ebates.com
mailto:ychandolu@ebates.com

Re: Will postgress handle too big tables?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Yuva,

> Also anyone know of any perticular documentation/links that talks
> specifically about "migrating to Postgres from Oracle"?, Please let me know
> if you have kind of document that would be of great use to us.

Please see Techdocs ( http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ ) for performance
whitepapers and Oracle migration tips.

--
-Josh Berkus

______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology     josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293  for law firms, small
businesses     fax 621-2533   and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Will postgress handle too big tables?

From
Curt Sampson
Date:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Yuva Chandolu wrote:

> We are moving to Postgres from Oracle. We have a few tables that have around
> 8 to 10 millions of rows and their size increases very rapidly(deletions are
> very less on these tables). How will Postgres hanlde very big tables like
> this?

Uh..."what big tables?" :-)

Have a look back through the archives. I'm mucking about quite
happily with 500 million row tables, without much difficulty.

I've found that my main barrier is disk I/O. If you're doing it on a
little dual-IDE disk system as I am, things just ain't so fast. I'm
hoping that in the next couple of weeks I get the go-ahead to put
together a system with ten or so disks (based around a 3ware Escalade
IDE RAID controller) that will make trillion-row-tables quite practical.

> or would it be very slow when compared to Oracle? Do you have any case
> studies in this regd?

It all depends entirely on the application. Really. Some applications
will work just as well on Postgres as they will on Oracle; others
will be almost impossible with Postgres.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC

PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider

From
"Marek Mosiewicz"
Date:
Do you know any attempts to write native OLE DB provider for PostgreSQL (it
would give broader support for VS Net). I would like to write such provider
and I want to know if sombody tried it before. Could somebody help me with
protocol issues (I have read Backend/Frontend Protocol and studied ODBC
driver) Are there any other interesting issues which aren not covered with
it. I would like to know how could I implement precompiled statements. Is
there any way to send it without parameters to able backend to chache it for
future use or it is not necessary. Are there any problems with large objects
?

Re: Will postgress handle too big tables?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
also, remember that for the cost of a single CPU oracle license you can
build a crankin' postgresql server...  memory and I/O are way more
important than CPU power btw.