Re: Will postgress handle too big tables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Will postgress handle too big tables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Yuva Chandolu wrote:

> We are moving to Postgres from Oracle. We have a few tables that have around
> 8 to 10 millions of rows and their size increases very rapidly(deletions are
> very less on these tables). How will Postgres hanlde very big tables like
> this?

Uh..."what big tables?" :-)

Have a look back through the archives. I'm mucking about quite
happily with 500 million row tables, without much difficulty.

I've found that my main barrier is disk I/O. If you're doing it on a
little dual-IDE disk system as I am, things just ain't so fast. I'm
hoping that in the next couple of weeks I get the go-ahead to put
together a system with ten or so disks (based around a 3ware Escalade
IDE RAID controller) that will make trillion-row-tables quite practical.

> or would it be very slow when compared to Oracle? Do you have any case
> studies in this regd?

It all depends entirely on the application. Really. Some applications
will work just as well on Postgres as they will on Oracle; others
will be almost impossible with Postgres.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC