Odd error during vacuum

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
Hi all,

I got these odd messages while doing a vacuum in 7.1.3 0 - any idea what
they mean? I assume it's not fatal as they're just notices, but I've never
had them before and haven't had them since.

NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

Chris

Re: Odd error during vacuum

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got these odd messages while doing a vacuum in 7.1.3 0 - any idea what
> they mean? I assume it's not fatal as they're just notices, but I've never
> had them before and haven't had them since.
>
> NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
> NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

This just means that the cache invalidation buffer got overloaded and was
reset. Its not really a problem (except in terms of performance). I would
say that if you haven't seen this before your database is getting more
usage and/or more data.

To fix this increase shared_buffers.

Gavin

Re: Odd error during vacuum

>> NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
>> NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

> To fix this increase shared_buffers.

AFAIK shared_buffers has no direct effect on the rate of SI overruns.
I suppose it might have an indirect effect just by improving overall
performance...
        regards, tom lane