Re: Odd error during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Odd error during vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got these odd messages while doing a vacuum in 7.1.3 0 - any idea what
> they mean? I assume it's not fatal as they're just notices, but I've never
> had them before and haven't had them since.
>
> NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
> NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

This just means that the cache invalidation buffer got overloaded and was
reset. Its not really a problem (except in terms of performance). I would
say that if you haven't seen this before your database is getting more
usage and/or more data.

To fix this increase shared_buffers.

Gavin