Good Day All,

eWeek has posted a poll that asks which database server is most critical
to your organization.

The poll tracks the following databases:

 - IBM DB2
 - Informix
 - Microsoft SQL Server
 - MySQL
 - Ingres
 - Oracle
 - PostgreSQL
 - Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise
 - Sybase SQL Anywhere
 - any object database

It is interesting to note that Oracle has shown a rather large jump
between yesterday and today - about 7% IIRC - a sign that the sample
size of the poll should become larger. :)

If you would care to vote, visit:
http://www.eweek.com/article/0%2c3658%2cs=708&a=23115%2c00.asp

Note: This message is being delivered to the Perl DBI, PHP general,
PostgreSQL Advocacy, MySQL general and Ruby general mailing lists.
However, to prevent possible and irritating cross-posting, I am
delivering each message individually. :)

Ciao!

--zak

--
   __  ___     ___ ____  __
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Zak Greant <zak@mysql.com>

Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 15:30, Zak Greant wrote:
> Good Day All,
>
> eWeek has posted a poll that asks which database server is most critical
> to your organization.

The article mentions a MySQL feature which apparently improved
performance considerably:

//
MySQL 4.0.1's new, extremely fast query cache is also quite notable, as
no other database we tested had this feature. If the text of an incoming
query has a byte-for-byte match with a cached query, MySQL can retrieve
the results directly from the cache without compiling the query, getting
locks or doing index accesses. This query caching will be effective only
for tables with few updates because any table updates that clear the
cache to guarantee correct results are always returned.
//

My guess is that it would be relatively simple to implement. Any
comments on this?

If I implemented this, any chance this would make it into the tree? Of
course, it would be:
   - disabled by default   - enabled on a table-by-table basis (maybe an ALTER TABLE command)

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Neil Conway wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 15:30, Zak Greant wrote:
> > Good Day All,
> >
> > eWeek has posted a poll that asks which database server is most critical
> > to your organization.
>
> The article mentions a MySQL feature which apparently improved
> performance considerably:
>
> //
> MySQL 4.0.1's new, extremely fast query cache is also quite notable, as
> no other database we tested had this feature.

Hmm is it really a notable feature ?
IIRC Oracle has had a similar feature for a long time.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Date:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 11:44, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > Neil Conway wrote:
> > > //
> > > MySQL 4.0.1's new, extremely fast query cache is also quite notable, as
> > > no other database we tested had this feature.
> >
> > Hmm is it really a notable feature ?
>
> It makes a powerful database eqally fast to not-so-powerful one for
> simple cases.

Sorry I may be misunderstanding your point.
What I meant was it's not a notably new feature and
I love the feature itself.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 11:44, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > //
> > MySQL 4.0.1's new, extremely fast query cache is also quite notable, as
> > no other database we tested had this feature.
>
> Hmm is it really a notable feature ?

It makes a powerful database eqally fast to not-so-powerful one for
simple cases.

> IIRC Oracle has had a similar feature for a long time.

I guess that's for exactly this reason :)

---------
Hannu