Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > You are, but it's alright.  What we're trying to head off is the
> > repeated "why not gpl" issue.  By only saying that we like the bsd
> > license and plan on staying with it only invites more why's, as we've
> > experienced every time in the past, and the end result is we have to
> > explain which, of course, only invites more comments, why's, etc. This
> > simple explanation will *hopefully* put it to rest.  There will be no
> > reason to ask why when that answer is already given.
>
> Hmm. But it isn't a simple explanation, it invites controversy and
> argument, and it isn't necessary. I appreciate your efforts to find some
> other phrasing while still addressing "why don't we switch?", but imho
> that line of explanation just shouldn't be there, period.
>
> Let's get back to the FAQ issue. There are two questions which might be
> asked and which might be included in a FAQ:
>
> 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
>    A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
>
> 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
>    A: See (1)

It's worth a try if you actually think it'll work, but as many times as
I've seen it come up I seriously doubt #2 will settle it and the
complaints of trying to sidestep the issue will be the new platform for
those wanting it changed.

Vince.

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi all,

I have an addition for it :

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
<snip>

> > 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
> >    A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> > BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
> >
> > 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
> >    A: See (1)

3) Q: Can I try and convince you guys to use the GPL, or maybe even just
      add the GPL to PostgreSQL?
   A: No.  You will be ignored and/or flamed depending on how people
      feel at the time.

      Probably flamed.

      And probably with enthusiasm.  :)

      Don't do it.

+ Justin

> It's worth a try if you actually think it'll work, but as many times as
> I've seen it come up I seriously doubt #2 will settle it and the
> complaints of trying to sidestep the issue will be the new platform for
> those wanting it changed.
>
> Vince.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org

   - Indira Gandhi

Date:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an addition for it :
>
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
> > >    A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> > > BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
> > >
> > > 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
> > >    A: See (1)
>
> 3) Q: Can I try and convince you guys to use the GPL, or maybe even just
>       add the GPL to PostgreSQL?
>    A: No.  You will be ignored and/or flamed depending on how people
>       feel at the time.
>
>       Probably flamed.
>
>       And probably with enthusiasm.  :)
>
>       Don't do it.

I'm thinking we should just use Lincoln's verbage and be done
with it.

Vince.

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
>       And probably with enthusiasm.  :)

:)

                 - Thomas

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From
mlw
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an addition for it :
>
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
> > >    A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> > > BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
> > >
> > > 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
> > >    A: See (1)
>
> 3) Q: Can I try and convince you guys to use the GPL, or maybe even just
>       add the GPL to PostgreSQL?
>    A: No.  You will be ignored and/or flamed depending on how people
>       feel at the time.
>
>       Probably flamed.
>
>       And probably with enthusiasm.  :)
>
>       Don't do it.
4) Q: Why is it when I try to convince you guys to use the GPL, my email
server gets clobbered for days.  A: See 3.

Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an addition for it :
> >
> > Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > <snip>

> > 3) Q: Can I try and convince you guys to use the GPL, or maybe even just
> >       add the GPL to PostgreSQL?
> >    A: No.  You will be ignored and/or flamed depending on how people
> >       feel at the time.
> >
> >       Probably flamed.
> >
> >       And probably with enthusiasm.  :)
> >
> >       Don't do it.
>
> I'm thinking we should just use Lincoln's verbage and be done
> with it.

I wasn't serious.

:)

+ Justin

> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

   - Indira Gandhi