Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > You are, but it's alright.  What we're trying to head off is the
> > repeated "why not gpl" issue.  By only saying that we like the bsd
> > license and plan on staying with it only invites more why's, as we've
> > experienced every time in the past, and the end result is we have to
> > explain which, of course, only invites more comments, why's, etc. This
> > simple explanation will *hopefully* put it to rest.  There will be no
> > reason to ask why when that answer is already given.
>
> Hmm. But it isn't a simple explanation, it invites controversy and
> argument, and it isn't necessary. I appreciate your efforts to find some
> other phrasing while still addressing "why don't we switch?", but imho
> that line of explanation just shouldn't be there, period.
>
> Let's get back to the FAQ issue. There are two questions which might be
> asked and which might be included in a FAQ:
>
> 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
>    A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
>
> 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
>    A: See (1)

It's worth a try if you actually think it'll work, but as many times as
I've seen it come up I seriously doubt #2 will settle it and the
complaints of trying to sidestep the issue will be the new platform for
those wanting it changed.

Vince.