pg_upgrade

Date:
I have enabled /contrib/pg_upgrade and added a mention in the README
that it is lightly tested.  I have not received any testing reports
since I finished it earlier this week.

Pennsylvania19026

postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

From
"Joe Conway (wwc)"
Date:
I just downloaded postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz from
http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php. It seems the file is actually
not gzipped, just tarred.

-rwxr--r--    1 root     cvs      37734400 Jan 18 11:22
postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

# tar -xzvf postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

Joe

Re: postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

Date:
"Joe Conway (wwc)" <jconway@cox.net> writes:
> I just downloaded postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz from
> http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php. It seems the file is actually
> not gzipped, just tarred.

> -rwxr--r--    1 root     cvs      37734400 Jan 18 11:22
> postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

The file is certainly gzipped on the FTP server.  I'm wondering if your
browser "helpfully" decompressed it as it came in (which might have been
actually somewhat helpful, if it changed the filename, too ...)
        regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Joe Conway (wwc) wrote:

> I just downloaded postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz from
> http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php. It seems the file is actually
> not gzipped, just tarred.
>
> -rwxr--r--    1 root     cvs      37734400 Jan 18 11:22
> postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

-rw-r--r--   1 pgsql  pgsql  9171841 Jan 14 08:26 postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

Sure your browser didn't do you a favor and ungzip it?  I've been bit
by that before.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

From
"Joe Conway (wwc)"
Tom Lane wrote:

>>-rwxr--r--    1 root     cvs      37734400 Jan 18 11:22
>>postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz
>>

> The file is certainly gzipped on the FTP server.  I'm wondering if your
> browser "helpfully" decompressed it as it came in (which might have been
> actually somewhat helpful, if it changed the filename, too ...)

Sure enough, looks like Mozilla *was* trying to be helpful.

It turns out if you hold down <shift> while clicking on the link (to
prevent trying to view a file in the browser instead of downloading)
then the file gets automatically uncompressed. If you click the link
without <shift>ing, the compressed file comes down as is.

Sorry for crying wolf!

Joe

Re: postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

From
Jason Earl
Date:
"Joe Conway (wwc)" <jconway@cox.net> writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>

> >> -rwxr--r--    1 root     cvs      37734400 Jan 18 11:22
> >> postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz
> >>
> > The file is certainly gzipped on the FTP server.  I'm wondering if
> > your
> > browser "helpfully" decompressed it as it came in (which might have been
> > actually somewhat helpful, if it changed the filename, too ...)
>

> Sure enough, looks like Mozilla *was* trying to be helpful.
>
> It turns out if you hold down <shift> while clicking on the link (to
> prevent trying to view a file in the browser instead of downloading)
> then the file gets automatically uncompressed. If you click the link
> without <shift>ing, the compressed file comes down as is.
>
> Sorry for crying wolf!
>
> Joe

That's why nowadays I right click on links choose "Copy Link Address"
and paste link into an xterm where I can safely use wget to actually
download the darn thing.

Jason

Re: postgresql-7.2b5.tar.gz

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On 18 Jan 2002, Jason Earl wrote:

> > > The file is certainly gzipped on the FTP server.  I'm wondering if
> > > your
> > > browser "helpfully" decompressed it as it came in (which might have been
> > > actually somewhat helpful, if it changed the filename, too ...)
> >

> > Sure enough, looks like Mozilla *was* trying to be helpful.
> >
> > It turns out if you hold down <shift> while clicking on the link (to
> > prevent trying to view a file in the browser instead of downloading)
> > then the file gets automatically uncompressed. If you click the link
> > without <shift>ing, the compressed file comes down as is.
> >
> > Sorry for crying wolf!
> >
> > Joe
>
> That's why nowadays I right click on links choose "Copy Link Address"
> and paste link into an xterm where I can safely use wget to actually
> download the darn thing.

Please tell me that works with the php sources.  I had it at one point
but can't find the trick.  Quite often I need to download php to a
machine that doesn't have lynx and is not local.