Preparation for Beta

Date:
OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.  Marc, will you be
packaging a beta1 tarball on Monday or waiting a few days?  I need to
run pgindent and pgjindent either right before or after beta starts.

Also, what are we doing with the toplevel /ChangeLogs.  I never
understood the purpose of it, and I know others have similar questions.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Preparation for Beta

Date:
> OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.

One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org.  Until the online
developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
to look at?  (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
generation process will succeed?)

Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
>
> One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
> is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org.  Until the online
> developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
> to look at?  (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
> generation process will succeed?)
>
> Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...

So would I but it can't happen till Marc finishes some configuring
I requested on the developers site.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Preparation for Beta

Date:
> > OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
>
> One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
> is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org.  Until the online
> developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
> to look at?  (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
> generation process will succeed?)
>
> Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...

OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday?  Are we building a tarball
tomorrow?  I need to pgindent before that.  Also, what about /ChangeLog?
Can I remove it?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Preparation for Beta

Date:
> OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday?  Are we building a tarball
> tomorrow?  I need to pgindent before that.

Please hold off on the pgindent until I've done something about this
hashtable alignment issue ... I'll try to get it done tonight.

> Also, what about /ChangeLog?
> Can I remove it?

I vote for removing it; I don't see why we keep such files in CVS.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
we arent' ready to go beta ... I'll let you know when ...

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
> >
> > One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
> > is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org.  Until the online
> > developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
> > to look at?  (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
> > generation process will succeed?)
> >
> > Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...
>
> OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday?  Are we building a tarball
> tomorrow?  I need to pgindent before that.  Also, what about /ChangeLog?
> Can I remove it?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Preparation for Beta

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> we arent' ready to go beta ... I'll let you know when ...

I agree --- for one thing, we definitely have some bugs in the datetime
pg_proc entries.  Unless we want to go into beta with a known initdb
yet to do, we've got to wait for Thomas to deal with those.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> I agree --- for one thing, we definitely have some bugs in the datetime
> pg_proc entries.  Unless we want to go into beta with a known initdb
> yet to do, we've got to wait for Thomas to deal with those.

I had a chance to work on timestamp features this weekend, and would
like to apply patches which give us another step toward SQL99 compliance
with support for specifying precision. As in
 select timestamp(2) with time zone '2001-09-30 04:06:06.78';

This uses typmod to adjust precision when date/times are read or written
to columns, as is done for other data types already. I did *not* alter
the on-disk format for the types, but I think that the new support may
be sufficient for compliance and has less overhead than trying to carry
the precision with every instance of the type.

I will also look at the remaining catalog issues (didn't get to email
this weekend), but will not likely have time until this evening (Hawaii
time :)

I haven't figured out *where* the docs are supposed to go in the new
scheme; none of the disk areas known to me on the new machines seem to
have a documentation directory at all! Where is this stuff supposed to
go? If things are going in different places, perhaps someone will have
time to mention, in one message, where those places are and what the
subdirectory scheme will look like?
                   - Thomas

Re: Preparation for Beta

Date:
> I haven't figured out *where* the docs are supposed to go in the new
> scheme; none of the disk areas known to me on the new machines seem to
> have a documentation directory at all! Where is this stuff supposed to
> go? If things are going in different places, perhaps someone will have
> time to mention, in one message, where those places are and what the
> subdirectory scheme will look like?

Not sure.  Use my SGML/HTML copy at the bottom of the developers page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I agree --- for one thing, we definitely have some bugs in the datetime
> > pg_proc entries.  Unless we want to go into beta with a known initdb
> > yet to do, we've got to wait for Thomas to deal with those.
>
> I had a chance to work on timestamp features this weekend, and would
> like to apply patches which give us another step toward SQL99 compliance
> with support for specifying precision. As in
>
>   select timestamp(2) with time zone '2001-09-30 04:06:06.78';
>
> This uses typmod to adjust precision when date/times are read or written
> to columns, as is done for other data types already. I did *not* alter
> the on-disk format for the types, but I think that the new support may
> be sufficient for compliance and has less overhead than trying to carry
> the precision with every instance of the type.
>
> I will also look at the remaining catalog issues (didn't get to email
> this weekend), but will not likely have time until this evening (Hawaii
> time :)
>
> I haven't figured out *where* the docs are supposed to go in the new
> scheme; none of the disk areas known to me on the new machines seem to
> have a documentation directory at all! Where is this stuff supposed to
> go? If things are going in different places, perhaps someone will have
> time to mention, in one message, where those places are and what the
> subdirectory scheme will look like?

the only changes to directory schemes is:
/var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp/usr/local/www/www for web stuff

directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> the only changes to directory schemes is:
>         /var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp
>         /usr/local/www/www for web stuff
> directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...

But they aren't (or didn't seem to be). "find" couldn't find any
instance of the docs, unpacked or otherwise.
                        - Thomas

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Monday 01 October 2001 04:13 pm, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > the only changes to directory schemes is:
> >         /var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp
> >         /usr/local/www/www for web stuff
> > directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...

> But they aren't (or didn't seem to be). "find" couldn't find any
> instance of the docs, unpacked or otherwise.

Ok, apparently there's some confusion as to what host does what.

Marc, can you provide a list of host with their functions? For instance, in
my case of uploading RPMset's tothe master ftp site, to where do I ssh, to
what directory to I go, etc.  The same thing is true for CVS, web, etc.

Ie, do I still upload to hub.org:/home/projects/pgsql/ftp/pub/binary for the
RPM's?  I'm a fairly experienced sysadmin, and I'm a little confused at the
new setup -- although the files are still on hub.org where they have always
been, is it still the master for the ftp site, or?

A map of the developer _sites_ would be a good addition to the developer's
corner, IMHO, unless people have security concerns that would prevent that.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Monday 01 October 2001 04:13 pm, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> > > the only changes to directory schemes is:
> > >         /var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp
> > >         /usr/local/www/www for web stuff
> > > directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...
>
> > But they aren't (or didn't seem to be). "find" couldn't find any
> > instance of the docs, unpacked or otherwise.
>
> Ok, apparently there's some confusion as to what host does what.
>
> Marc, can you provide a list of host with their functions? For instance, in
> my case of uploading RPMset's tothe master ftp site, to where do I ssh, to
> what directory to I go, etc.  The same thing is true for CVS, web, etc.

ftp.postgresql.org:/var/spool/ftp/pub/binary
(216.126.85.28)

Ignore everything on hub.org from hence forth ... the only reason there
are still files over there is so that we don't get a flood of email's from
the various mirrors concerning brokenness while Vince finishes off a few
administrative issues he has ...

The only site that a developer now needs to deal with is:
ftp.postgresql.org (which, once Vince gives me the go ahead, will
be the same as postgresql.org, which still points at the old machine)

The only changes that *should* be is that:

/home/projects/pgsql/ftp => /var/spool/ftp
/home/projects/pgsql/ftp/www => /usr/local/www/www

if there are tools missing, let me know, as Peter did, and I'll get those
installed ... if you can't find something, tell me what hte old directory
is that you are expecting, and I'll see what went missing ...

Re: Preparation for Beta

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 02 October 2001 08:32 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> ftp.postgresql.org:/var/spool/ftp/pub/binary
> (216.126.85.28)

So far so good.  Login successful, group membership correct.  I'll let you
know if I stumble across a roadblock.

Oh, and BTW: having done server splits and moves in the past myself, you and
Vince have my gratitude and, well, sympathy, over this, as a dynamic website
and ftpsite move by itself is never trivial.  And there are many more details
here than a typical site move....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio