create user problem

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
According to \h create user I can stipulate NOCREATEDB and NOCREATEUSER
when I create a user.  But I get this:

mydb=# create user foo NOCREATEUSER NOCREATEDB in group bar;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "NOCREATEDB"
mydb=#

I can create the user by only stipulating one of the NOCREATE items but
not both.   Does that mean something's broke or am I misunderstanding
this:

CREATE USER username   [ WITH    [ SYSID uid ]    [ PASSWORD 'password' ] ]   [ CREATEDB   | NOCREATEDB ] [ CREATEUSER
|NOCREATEUSER ]   [ IN GROUP     groupname [, ...] ]   [ VALID UNTIL  'abstime' ]

This line:
   [ CREATEDB   | NOCREATEDB ] [ CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER ]

does say I can do both, right?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: create user problem

> mydb=# create user foo NOCREATEUSER NOCREATEDB in group bar;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "NOCREATEDB"

> This line:
>     [ CREATEDB   | NOCREATEDB ] [ CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER ]
> does say I can do both, right?

It says you can do both *in that order*.

Feel free to submit a grammar patch to make CREATE USER more flexible
about the ordering of its optional clauses.  Right now it's pretty
rigid.
        regards, tom lane

Re: create user problem

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > mydb=# create user foo NOCREATEUSER NOCREATEDB in group bar;
> > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "NOCREATEDB"
>
> > This line:
> >     [ CREATEDB   | NOCREATEDB ] [ CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER ]
> > does say I can do both, right?
>
> It says you can do both *in that order*.
>
> Feel free to submit a grammar patch to make CREATE USER more flexible
> about the ordering of its optional clauses.  Right now it's pretty
> rigid.

Let me guess, gram.y?

Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
>> Feel free to submit a grammar patch to make CREATE USER more flexible
>> about the ordering of its optional clauses.  Right now it's pretty
>> rigid.

> Let me guess, gram.y?

Yup.
        regards, tom lane

Re: create user problem

> > mydb=# create user foo NOCREATEUSER NOCREATEDB in group bar;
> > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "NOCREATEDB"
>
> > This line:
> >     [ CREATEDB   | NOCREATEDB ] [ CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER ]
> > does say I can do both, right?
>
> It says you can do both *in that order*.
>
> Feel free to submit a grammar patch to make CREATE USER more flexible
> about the ordering of its optional clauses.  Right now it's pretty
> rigid.

Added to TODO:
* Allow CREATEUSER/CREATEDB ordering in CREATE/ALTER USER

Pennsylvania19026