Migration from FoxPro

From
"P. Dwayne Miller"
Date:
Anyone know of any alternatives to using pgAdmin to migrate a database
(schema and data) from Foxpro to PostgreSQL?  pgAdmin worked fine on my
initial test database, but it was slow... very slow.  I'd like to try to
migrate one of our production databases, where several tables have
200,000+ records each.  I can export the data into a PG COPY friendly
format, but was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that would migrate
all of the primary keys and indexes too?  Or a perl utility that would
read the Foxpro database and generate the SQL commands needed to create
the tables and indexes?

Re: Migration from FoxPro

From
reinoud@xs4all.nl (Reinoud van Leeuwen)
Date:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:36:02 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone know of any alternatives to using pgAdmin to migrate a database
>(schema and data) from Foxpro to PostgreSQL?  pgAdmin worked fine on my
>initial test database, but it was slow... very slow.  I'd like to try to
>migrate one of our production databases, where several tables have
>200,000+ records each.  I can export the data into a PG COPY friendly
>format, but was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that would migrate
>all of the primary keys and indexes too?  Or a perl utility that would
>read the Foxpro database and generate the SQL commands needed to create
>the tables and indexes?

(assuming you use some windows version :-)

- Download the Powerdesigner 45 day trial from www.sybase.com
- make an ODBC connection to your database
- reverse engineer the datamodel
- change the target model to postgresql
- install postgresql odbc drivers
- generate a database creation script and execute it through the ODBC
connection
- create a report of your database for your documentation :-)
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen       reinoud@xs4all.nl
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud