Re: Migration from FoxPro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From reinoud@xs4all.nl (Reinoud van Leeuwen)
Subject Re: Migration from FoxPro
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:36:02 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone know of any alternatives to using pgAdmin to migrate a database
>(schema and data) from Foxpro to PostgreSQL?  pgAdmin worked fine on my
>initial test database, but it was slow... very slow.  I'd like to try to
>migrate one of our production databases, where several tables have
>200,000+ records each.  I can export the data into a PG COPY friendly
>format, but was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that would migrate
>all of the primary keys and indexes too?  Or a perl utility that would
>read the Foxpro database and generate the SQL commands needed to create
>the tables and indexes?

(assuming you use some windows version :-)

- Download the Powerdesigner 45 day trial from www.sybase.com
- make an ODBC connection to your database
- reverse engineer the datamodel
- change the target model to postgresql
- install postgresql odbc drivers
- generate a database creation script and execute it through the ODBC
connection
- create a report of your database for your documentation :-)
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen       reinoud@xs4all.nl
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud