SEP_CHAR

Date:
I see some use of SEP_CHAR for '/' in the source.  Do we want to use it
consistenly, or not use it at all?  I can make the change.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SEP_CHAR

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I see some use of SEP_CHAR for '/' in the source.  Do we want to use it
> consistenly, or not use it at all?  I can make the change.

I vote for not at all, since there is not at all a use for it.

Re: SEP_CHAR

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> I see some use of SEP_CHAR for '/' in the source.  Do we want to use it
>> consistenly, or not use it at all?  I can make the change.

> I vote for not at all, since there is not at all a use for it.

If it's not actually needed for the Cygwin port, I'd vote for taking it
out.  It adds clutter to the sources, to no purpose.  Also, even if you
fix it to be used consistently *every* place it should be, how long will
it stay that way?  Seems practically unmaintainable to me.
        regards, tom lane

Re: SEP_CHAR

Date:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >> I see some use of SEP_CHAR for '/' in the source.  Do we want to use it
> >> consistenly, or not use it at all?  I can make the change.
>
> > I vote for not at all, since there is not at all a use for it.
>
> If it's not actually needed for the Cygwin port, I'd vote for taking it
> out.  It adds clutter to the sources, to no purpose.  Also, even if you
> fix it to be used consistently *every* place it should be, how long will
> it stay that way?  Seems practically unmaintainable to me.

I see it used by psql and pg_dump and I will leave them alone, assuming
/ is not hardeded elsewhere in that code.

Actually, it is:
           sprintf(psqlrc, "%s/.psqlrc", home);

so it seems NT handles '/' anyway.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SEP_CHAR

Date:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >> I see some use of SEP_CHAR for '/' in the source.  Do we want to use it
> >> consistenly, or not use it at all?  I can make the change.
>
> > I vote for not at all, since there is not at all a use for it.
>
> If it's not actually needed for the Cygwin port, I'd vote for taking it
> out.  It adds clutter to the sources, to no purpose.  Also, even if you
> fix it to be used consistently *every* place it should be, how long will
> it stay that way?  Seems practically unmaintainable to me.

OK, two votes, will be removed shortly.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SEP_CHAR

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Actually, it is:
>
>             sprintf(psqlrc, "%s/.psqlrc", home);
>
> so it seems NT handles '/' anyway.

'/' has been a valid path separator when using the C io facilities at
least since Turbo C on MS-DOS.

Re: SEP_CHAR

Date:
> I see it used by psql and pg_dump and I will leave them alone, assuming
> / is not hardeded elsewhere in that code.

If you're gonna take it out, take it out completely.
        regards, tom lane