release dates and announcements ?

From
Peter Galbavy
Date:
We are just (as per other queries recently) building a new system
using postgresql as the backend database. 7.1 seems like it is going
give us a number of essential fixes and useful features that make it
worth waiting a while.

As I have not seen announcements of the beta and RC cuts on
pgsql-announce, I would assume the development schedule is a more
closed thing than general chatter here, BUT is there an target
timetable for 7.1 (more that "when its ready" and subsequent 7.1.1
type releases ?

This information would help us decide whether to use an RC as a
development platform, moving to release later when we are ready to
test final work.

Also, would it be possible to announce alpha/beta/RC releases to
pgsql-announce ?

rgds,
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd

Re: release dates and announcements ?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Hi Peter ...
The problem this cycle has been that as soon as a package is ready
for announce, ppl have been cropping up with bugs that need to be fixed,
so we don't bother announcing it ... except to -hackers ...
We are currently at Release Candidate 3, with an RC4 most likely
going out tomorrow evening, which will also be announced to -announce as
the 'final release before release' ...
... and, if all goes well, the full relesae will be out on Friday
of this coming week ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: release dates and announcements ?

From
"Gordon Runkle"
Date:
In article <20010405100604.B12401@office.knowledge.com>, "Peter Galbavy"
<peter.galbavy@knowledge.com> wrote:

> This information would help us decide whether to use an RC as a
> development platform, moving to release later when we are ready to test
> final work.

Peter,

For what it's worth, I've been using 7.1beta? and RC? in
development for some time.  beta5 -> beta6 required an
initdb, but the since then I've just compiled the new
version and installed it.  No problems, and the feature
set is worth it for me.

Gordon Runkle
Integrated Dynamics, Inc.
--
It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.  -- Greg LeMond