Migration - Linux/pgSQL/PHP (type,version)

From
Steven Vajdic
Date:
Dear experts,

Some advice would be greatly appreciated:

1. I've been running RedHat6.2 and its pgSQL 6.5xx, PHP3.0 counterparts
for 10
months, not having time to upgrade and being afraid to upgrade due to
"regular problems" that go along.

2. I am thinking about Debian (my preferred option - good/easy for
"automatic" WEB upgrades) or
Mandrake or Suse/professional (best ranking in some PC magazines).
Strange: The rankings (No 1 Mandrake, No 2 Suse) did not test Debian -
accidentally or deliberately?

3. RedHat 7xx has been characterised - unstable!!!

Any "objective" Pros/Cons for Linux type/version in terms of pgSQL use -

my order of preferences Debian, Mandrake, Suse, RedHat.

Much obliged,

Steven.

Steven Vajdic (BSc/Hon, MSc)
Senior Software Engineer
Motorola Australia Software Centre (MASC)
2 Second Avenue, Technology Park
Adelaide, South Australia  5095

WORK email:  Steven.Vajdic@motorola.com
WORK email:  svajdic@asc.corp.mot.com
phone (work):  +61-8-8168-3435
Fax (work):    +61-8-8168-3501
Front Office (ph): +61-8-8168-3500
mobile: +61 (0)419 860 903
HOME email:  steven_vajdic@ivillage.com

Re: Migration - Linux/pgSQL/PHP (type,version)

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:33:16AM +1030, Steven Vajdic wrote:

> 1. I've been running RedHat6.2 and its pgSQL 6.5xx, PHP3.0 counterparts
You should definitely upgrade to PG 7.1.

> 2. I am thinking about Debian (my preferred option - good/easy for
> "automatic" WEB upgrades) or
> Mandrake or Suse/professional (best ranking in some PC magazines).
> Strange: The rankings (No 1 Mandrake, No 2 Suse) did not test Debian -
> accidentally or deliberately?
Don't know which "ranking" you are referring to. These are good
distributions. Red Hat is also good, but IMHO some things in 7.0 just
shouldn't have shipped the way they were. Supposedly 7.1 will be much
better.Debian is excellent. I've been running for quite some time and am very
happy with it. If you are looking for an easy install of Debian, try
Progeny Debian (www.progeny.com).
-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club|------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net     http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Web Developer

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ... Windows 95 Beta Tester

Re: Migration - Linux/pgSQL/PHP (type,version)

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:33:16AM +1030, Steven Vajdic wrote:
> 2. I am thinking about Debian (my preferred option - good/easy for
> "automatic" WEB upgrades) or

I surely second that. :-)

My experience is that the Debian upgrade mechanism is much better than that
of the other dists. But you will have to use the yet to be frozen developer
dist of Debian to get postgreSQL 7.1 once it gets debianized. The current
version in stable is 6.5.3. Of course you can compile 7.1 on the Debian
potato release yourself.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes