Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Okay folks ...
We'd like to wrap up an RC1 and get this release happening this
year sometime :)  Tom mentioned to me that he has no outstandings left on
his plate ... does anyone else have any *show stoppers* left that need to
be addressed, or can I package things up?
Speak now, or forever hold your piece (where forever is the time
between now and RC1 is packaged) ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>     Speak now, or forever hold your piece (where forever is the time
> between now and RC1 is packaged) ...

I rather hope it's *NOT* ....
        regards, tom lane

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010320 10:21] wrote:
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >     Speak now, or forever hold your piece (where forever is the time
> > between now and RC1 is packaged) ...
>
> I rather hope it's *NOT* ....

And still no LAZY vacuum.  *sigh*

RE: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
"Mikheev, Vadim"
Date:
>     We'd like to wrap up an RC1 and get this release happening
> this year sometime :)  Tom mentioned to me that he has no
> outstandings left on his plate ... does anyone else have any
> *show stoppers* left that need to be addressed, or can I package
> things up?

I wonder if anybody tried to stop PG in the time of high write
activity with pg_ctl -m immediate stop or power off to see
how recovery works..?

Vadim

Date:
> And still no LAZY vacuum.  *sigh*

Patch will be available in a few days after release.
Sorry, Alfred.

Vadim

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The Hermit Hacker writes:

>     We'd like to wrap up an RC1 and get this release happening this
> year sometime :)  Tom mentioned to me that he has no outstandings left on
> his plate ... does anyone else have any *show stoppers* left that need to
> be addressed, or can I package things up?

I just uploaded new man pages.  I'll probably do them once more in a few
days to catch all the changes.

We need a supported platform list.  Let's hear it.

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
UnixWare 7, Rel 7.1.1, using UDK FS Compiler
FreeBSD 4.[23]

LER

On 3/20/01, 1:11:21 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote regarding
Re: [HACKERS] Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:

> >     We'd like to wrap up an RC1 and get this release happening this
> > year sometime :)  Tom mentioned to me that he has no outstandings left on
> > his plate ... does anyone else have any *show stoppers* left that need to
> > be addressed, or can I package things up?

> I just uploaded new man pages.  I'll probably do them once more in a few
> days to catch all the changes.

> We need a supported platform list.  Let's hear it.

> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

Date:
BSDI 4.01.

> UnixWare 7, Rel 7.1.1, using UDK FS Compiler
> FreeBSD 4.[23]
>
> LER

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

Date:
> We need a supported platform list.  Let's hear it.

HPUX 10.20    (HP-PA architecture)
Linux/PPC    (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel I think)
        regards, tom lane

RE: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Michael Ansley
Date:
_________________________________________________________________________<br/> This e-mail and any attachments are
confidentialand may also be privileged and/or copyright <br /> material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated
companies).If you are not an <br /> intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error,
pleasedelete <br /> it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing, <br />
printingor further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. <br /> Intec Telecom
SystemsPLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free <br /> from computer viruses or other
defects.The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any <br /> attachments may be those of the author and are not
hasbeen swept by<br /> MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. <br />

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
Go here to report or to see the list.

http://www.postgresql.org/~vev/regress/

Vince.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 08:11:21PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> We need a supported platform list.  Let's hear it.
Linux 2.4.2 (Debian, Woody), glibc 2.2.2, gcc 2.95.3 (from CVS).
-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club|------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net     http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Web Developer

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> HPUX 10.20      (HP-PA architecture)

Time to drop 9.2 from the list?

> Linux/PPC       (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel I think)

What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...
                   - Thomas

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

Date:
>> HPUX 10.20      (HP-PA architecture)

> Time to drop 9.2 from the list?

I don't have it running here anymore.  Is there anyone on the list
who can test on HPUX 9?

>> Linux/PPC       (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel I think)

> What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...

It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> >> Linux/PPC       (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel I think)
>
> > What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...
> It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...

From what I can tell (which isn't much ;) Apple at least calls the
processor a "G3". Which accounts for why we can't find another
designation.

Not sure where it fits into the lineup I *used* to know about (for
embedded systems) but I don't care. Will refer to it as a "G3" for
now...
                - Thomas

Date:
> > > What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...
> > It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> > inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
> From what I can tell (which isn't much ;) Apple at least calls the
> processor a "G3". Which accounts for why we can't find another
> designation.

Tatsuo, I have a separate listing for "mklinux" for the 7.0 release. Is
that distro still valid and unique? Or is there a better way to
represent the PPC options under Linux?
                   - Thomas

Re: Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> > > inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
> > From what I can tell (which isn't much ;) Apple at least calls the
> > processor a "G3". Which accounts for why we can't find another
> > designation.
>
> Tatsuo, I have a separate listing for "mklinux" for the 7.0 release. Is
> that distro still valid and unique? Or is there a better way to
> represent the PPC options under Linux?

mklinux is older Motorola 68k-based systems
LinuxPPC is the newer powerPC-based systems

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Date:
> mklinux is older Motorola 68k-based systems
> LinuxPPC is the newer powerPC-based systems

Hmm. I have mklinux listed as being on the 750. My vague recollection is
that the distinction is between NuBus and PCI machines (not necessarily
in that order), but...

I also vaguely recalled that the distros had merged (or something :/
                   - Thomas

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Tatsuo, I have a separate listing for "mklinux" for the 7.0 release. Is
> that distro still valid and unique? Or is there a better way to
> represent the PPC options under Linux?

I think MkLinux is completely different from Linux/PPC. Will test RC1
on my MkLiux box soon...
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Date:
> > Tatsuo, I have a separate listing for "mklinux" for the 7.0 release. Is
> > that distro still valid and unique? Or is there a better way to
> > represent the PPC options under Linux?
>
> mklinux is older Motorola 68k-based systems

No. MkLinux runs on Power PC based system also. I believe there is a
x86 based MkLinux exists somewhere.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Date:

> > > It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> > > inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
> > From what I can tell (which isn't much ;) Apple at least calls the
> > processor a "G3". Which accounts for why we can't find another
> > designation.
 The G3s  are the MPC7XX family and the G4s are the MPC7XXX family. All of the ones Mac is currently releasing are
MPC7450s.See

 http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/prod_cat/taxonomy.jsp?catId=M934309493763
 for more details.

FWIW.

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Giles Lean
Date:
> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >> HPUX 10.20      (HP-PA architecture)
>
> > Time to drop 9.2 from the list?
>
> I don't have it running here anymore.  Is there anyone on the list
> who can test on HPUX 9?

HP haven't supported 9.X since the end of 1999 on servers, and since
earlier than that on workstations. I doubt anyone will expect to see
it listed on the PostgreSQL list of supported platforms for 7.1.

Regards,

Giles

Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
Quoting The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>:

> Okay folks ...
>
>     We'd like to wrap up an RC1 and get this release happening this
> year sometime :)  Tom mentioned to me that he has no outstandings left
> on his plate ... does anyone else have any *show stoppers* left that need
> to be addressed, or can I package things up?

Nothing that would stop RC1 (I've still got some testing which I'm doing later
tonight).

>     Speak now, or forever hold your piece (where forever is the time
> between now and RC1 is packaged) ...

I'm surprised it hasn't been out already - being worked to death the last two
weeks, I'm still catching up with developments :( ...

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Date:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > HPUX 10.20      (HP-PA architecture)
>
> Time to drop 9.2 from the list?
>
> > Linux/PPC       (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel I think)
>
> What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...

Given that we list "x86", I think we wouldn't care.

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > > Tatsuo, I have a separate listing for "mklinux" for the 7.0 release. Is
> > > that distro still valid and unique? Or is there a better way to
> > > represent the PPC options under Linux?
> >
> > mklinux is older Motorola 68k-based systems
>
> No. MkLinux runs on Power PC based system also. I believe there is a
> x86 based MkLinux exists somewhere.

mkLinux is "micro-kernel" Linux, on top of Mach.  Consequentially, it is
non-trivially different from any other Linux.

Re: Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
Time to speak up,  I have a HPUX 9.07 system and will test today.

Jim

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >> HPUX 10.20      (HP-PA architecture)
>
> > Time to drop 9.2 from the list?
>
> I don't have it running here anymore.  Is there anyone on the list
> who can test on HPUX 9?
>
> >> Linux/PPC       (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro tested here; 2.2.18 kernel
I think)

> > What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...
>
> It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
HPUX 9.07 with GCC 2.8.1 fails the regression tests.  I will look into
this later.  I would NOT hold anything up because of this....

Jim

> Time to speak up,  I have a HPUX 9.07 system and will test today.
>
> Jim

> > > Time to drop 9.2 from the list?
> >
> > I don't have it running here anymore.  Is there anyone on the list
> > who can test on HPUX 9?

> I think)
> >
> > > What processor? Tatsuo had tested on a 603...
> >
> > It's a Powerbook G3 (FireWire model), but I'm not sure which chip is
> > inside (and Apple's spec sheet isn't too helpful)...
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)-------------------------
--
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Re: Final Call: RC1 about to go out the door ...

From
bpalmer
Date:
$ uname -a
OpenBSD mizer 2.8 a#0 i386

P3, default 2.8 install.  Problems w/ TCL,  but I think it's a local
problem.

System needs kernel changes as noted at www.crimelabs.net.  (shared mem
stuff).

OBSD-sparc comming soon.