Patch application

Date:
I think it is time to start giving people official responsibility for
certain areas of the code.

In the old says, we didn't have many _exports_, and people submitting
patches often knew more than we did because they had spent time studying
the code.

Now, we have much more expertise, to the point that people not involved
in those areas can't really contribute very well without the assistance
of those experts.

For example, I can't seem to evaluate any Makefile changes because Peter
E. knows how the system is designed much better.  The same is true for
JDBC and many other areas.

I would like to create a web page in the developer's corner that
contains module names and the people who are most knowledgeable.  I will
no longer apply changes to those areas without getting approval from
those people.  My recent attempts have made things worse rather than
better.  I suggest other committers do the same.

My short list right now is:

    Makefiles/configure    Peter E.
    psql            Peter E.
    Jdbc            Peter M.
    Odbc            Hiroshi?
    Ecpg            Michael
    Python            D'Arcy
    Optimizer        Tom Lane
    Rewrite            Jan
    Locking            Tom
    Cache            Tom
    Date/Time        Thomas
    Pl/PgSQL        Jan
    SGML            Peter E, Thomas
    WAL            Vadim, Tom
    FAQ/TODO        Bruce
    Regression        Peter E?
    Multibyte        Tatsuo
    GIST            Oleg

Comments?

Re: Patch application

Date:
> I think it is time to start giving people official responsibility for
> certain areas of the code.

This strikes me as overly formalistic, and more likely to lead to
arteriosclerosis than any improvement in code quality.  Particularly
with a breakdown such as you have proposed, which would likely mean
asking multiple people to approve any given patch.

I think the procedural error in this past weekend's contrib mess was
simply that you didn't pay attention to the fact that Oleg's patch was
based on an out-of-date copy of the contrib module.  You should have
either merged the changes or bounced it back to Oleg for him to do so.

Insisting on CVS $Header$ or $Id$ markers in all code files might help
to detect this kind of error --- but nothing will help if you are
willing to overwrite other people's changes simply because you didn't
recall the reason for them at the moment.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Patch application

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
The below basically summarizes my opinion quite well ...

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I think it is time to start giving people official responsibility for
> > certain areas of the code.
>
> This strikes me as overly formalistic, and more likely to lead to
> arteriosclerosis than any improvement in code quality.  Particularly
> with a breakdown such as you have proposed, which would likely mean
> asking multiple people to approve any given patch.
>
> I think the procedural error in this past weekend's contrib mess was
> simply that you didn't pay attention to the fact that Oleg's patch was
> based on an out-of-date copy of the contrib module.  You should have
> either merged the changes or bounced it back to Oleg for him to do so.
>
> Insisting on CVS $Header$ or $Id$ markers in all code files might help
> to detect this kind of error --- but nothing will help if you are
> willing to overwrite other people's changes simply because you didn't
> recall the reason for them at the moment.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Patch application

Date:
> > I think it is time to start giving people official responsibility for
> > certain areas of the code.
>
> This strikes me as overly formalistic, and more likely to lead to
> arteriosclerosis than any improvement in code quality.  Particularly
> with a breakdown such as you have proposed, which would likely mean
> asking multiple people to approve any given patch.
>
> I think the procedural error in this past weekend's contrib mess was
> simply that you didn't pay attention to the fact that Oleg's patch was
> based on an out-of-date copy of the contrib module.  You should have
> either merged the changes or bounced it back to Oleg for him to do so.
>
> Insisting on CVS $Header$ or $Id$ markers in all code files might help
> to detect this kind of error --- but nothing will help if you are
> willing to overwrite other people's changes simply because you didn't
> recall the reason for them at the moment.

I understand the formalistic problem, and maybe I overstated its
formality, but it seems it would be good to maintain a list for two
reasons:
1) With formalize experts in various areas, if someone replies
to an email, the recipient can clearly know this person is an expert in
that area.  It also helps focus attention on certain people for
development assistance.
2) The number of patches that I apply that need fixing by
someone else is getting more frequent.  The most recent patch is just
one of many that had to be cleaned up for various reasons.  I reviewed
the patch and still didn't see the intent of the Makefile change.  In
this case, the CVS logs would have helped, but in others there is a
design goal that I just can not comprehend.

Looking at the list, I feel I would have to contact someone before
making any changes to these areas.  Even if I can get the patch applied
properly, I doubt I would do it the _right_ way.  Sometimes it is just
that the style of the patcher doesn't match the style in our sources.

Maybe we don't have to make it required, but plain patches from people I
don't know really need some review.  Perhaps I can attach the patch to
the PATCHES list when I apply it so people can see exactly what was
changed.

Aren't people upset about the minor fixes they have to make to patches I
apply?  Is it easier to just clean up things rather than find/apply the
patches?

For example, almost any change to an SGML file seems to require Peter E
to fix some part of it, usually the markup.  Is that OK, Peter?  Most of
the interfaces require an interface expert's comment I would think.

       Makefiles/configure     Peter E.       psql                    Peter E.       Jdbc                    Peter M.
   Odbc                    Hiroshi?       Ecpg                    Michael       Python                  D'Arcy
Optimizer              Tom Lane       Rewrite                 Jan       Locking                 Tom       Cache
         Tom       Date/Time               Thomas       Pl/PgSQL                Jan       SGML                    Peter
E,Thomas       WAL                     Vadim, Tom       FAQ/TODO                Bruce       Regression
PeterE?       Multibyte               Tatsuo        GIST                    Oleg

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Patch application

Date:
> I understand the formalistic problem, and maybe I overstated its
> formality, but it seems it would be good to maintain a list for two
> reasons:

I don't have a problem with keeping an informal list of area experts.
I was just objecting to the notion of formal signoffs (I doubt Peter E.
wants to look at every single Makefile change, for example).

Also, there's a point that keeps coming up in these discussions: the
standards need to be different depending on what time of the release
cycle it is.  Perhaps formal signoffs *are* appropriate when we're
this late in beta.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Patch application

From
Ian Lance Taylor
Date:

> I understand the formalistic problem, and maybe I overstated its
> formality, but it seems it would be good to maintain a list for two
> reasons:

In projects like gcc and the GNU binutils, we use a MAINTAINERS file.
Some people have blanket write privileges.  Some people have write
priviliges to certain areas of the code.  Anybody else needs a patch
to be approved before they can check it in.  Patches which are
``obviously correct'' are always OK.

The MAINTAINERS file can be used as a guide for who to ask in certain
areas of the code.

This may be overly complex for Postgres now.  But I believe that you
will need something of this nature as the project continues to grow.
This permits you to scale to more developers.

Note that the MAINTAINERS file is not enforced by a program.  It is
only enforced by people noticing an unapproved checkin message, and
theoreticalliy removing write privileges.

For example, I have appended the gcc MAINTAINERS file.

Ian
        Blanket Write Privs.

Craig Burley                    craig@jcb-sc.com
John Carr                    jfc@mit.edu
Richard Earnshaw                rearnsha@arm.com
Richard Henderson                               rth@redhat.com
Geoffrey Keating                geoffk@redhat.com
Richard Kenner                    kenner@nyu.edu
Jeff Law                    law@redhat.com
Jason Merrill                    jason@redhat.com
Michael Meissner                meissner@redhat.com
David S. Miller                    davem@redhat.com
Mark Mitchell                    mark@codesourcery.com
Bernd Schmidt                    bernds@redhat.com
Jim Wilson                    wilson@redhat.com

        Various Maintainers

sh port            Joern Rennecke        amylaar@redhat.com        Alexandre Oliva        aoliva@redhat.com
v850 port        Nick Clifton        nickc@redhat.com
v850 port        Michael Meissner    meissner@redhat.com
arm port        Nick Clifton        nickc@redhat.com
arm port        Richard Earnshaw    rearnsha@arm.com
m32r port        Nick Clifton        nickc@redhat.com        Michael Meissner    meissner@redhat.com
h8 port            Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
mcore            Nick Clifton        nickc@redhat.com        Jim Dein        jdein@windriver.com
mn10200 port        Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
mn10300 port        Jeff Law        law@redhat.com        Alexandre Oliva        aoliva@redhat.com
hppa port        Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
m68hc11 port        Stephane Carrez        Stephane.Carrez@worldnet.fr
m68k port (?)        Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
m68k-motorola-sysv port    Philippe De Muyter    phdm@macqel.be
rs6000 port        Geoff Keating        geoffk@redhat.com
rs6000 port        David Edelsohn        dje@watson.ibm.com
mips port        Gavin Romig-Koch    gavin@redhat.com
ia64 port        Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
i860 port        Jason Eckhardt        jle@redhat.com
i960 port        Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
a29k port        Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
alpha port        Richard Henderson    rth@redhat.com
sparc port        Richard Henderson    rth@redhat.com
sparc port        David S. Miller        davem@redhat.com
sparc port        Jakub Jelinek        jakub@redhat.com
x86 ports        Stan Cox        scox@redhat.com
c4x port        Michael Hayes        m.hayes@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
arc port        Richard Kenner        kenner@nyu.edu
fr30 port        Nick Clifton        niclc@redhat.com
vax port        Dave Anglin        dave.anglin@nrc.ca
fortran            Richard Henderson    rth@redhat.com
fortran            Toon Moene        toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
c++            Jason Merrill        jason@redhat.com
c++                     Mark Mitchell        mark@codesourcery.com
chill            Dave Brolley        brolley@redhat.com
chill            Per Bothner        per@bothner.com
java            Per Bothner        per@bothner.com
java            Alexandre Petit-Bianco    apbianco@redhat.com
mercury            Fergus Henderson    fjh@cs.mu.oz.au
objective-c        Stan Shebs        shebs@apple.com
objective-c        Ovidiu Predescu        ovidiu@cup.hp.com
cpplib            Dave Brolley        brolley@redhat.com
cpplib            Per Bothner        per@bothner.com
cpplib            Zack Weinberg        zackw@stanford.edu
cpplib            Neil Booth        neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk
alias analysis        John Carr        jfc@mit.edu
loop unrolling        Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
loop discovery        Michael Hayes        m.hayes@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
scheduler (+ haifa)    Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
scheduler (+ haifa)    Michael Meissner    meissner@redhat.com
scheduler (+ haifa)    Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
reorg            Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
caller-save.c        Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
debugging code        Jim Wilson        wilson@redhat.com
dwarf debugging code    Jason Merrill        jason@redhat.com
c++ runtime libs        Gabriel Dos Reis        dosreis@cmla.ens-cachan.fr
c++ runtime libs    Ulrich Drepper        drepper@redhat.com
c++ runtime libs    Phil Edwards        pedwards@jaj.com
c++ runtime libs    Benjamin Kosnik        bkoz@redhat.com
*synthetic multiply    Torbjorn Granlund    tege@swox.com
*c-torture        Torbjorn Granlund    tege@swox.com
*f-torture        Kate Hedstrom        kate@ahab.rutgers.edu
sco5, unixware, sco udk    Robert Lipe        robertlipe@usa.net
fixincludes        Bruce Korb        bkorb@gnu.org
gcse.c             Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
global opt framework    Jeff Law        law@redhat.com
jump.c            David S. Miller        davem@redhat.com
web pages        Gerald Pfeifer        pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
C front end/ISO C99    Gavin Romig-Koch    gavin@redhat.com
config.sub/config.guess    Ben Elliston        bje@redhat.com
avr port        Denis Chertykov        denisc@overta.ru        Marek Michalkiewicz    marekm@linux.org.pl
basic block reordering    Jason Eckhardt        jle@redhat.com
i18n            Philipp Thomas        pthomas@suse.de
diagnostic messages    Gabriel Dos Reis    gdr@codesourcery.com
windows, cygwin, mingw    Christopher Faylor    cgf@redhat.com
windows, cygwin, mingw    DJ Delorie        dj@redhat.com
DJGPP            DJ Delorie        dj@delorie.com
libiberty        DJ Delorie        dj@redhat.com
build machinery (*.in)    DJ Delorie        dj@redhat.com
build machinery (*.in)    Alexandre Oliva        aoliva@redhat.com

Note individuals who maintain parts of the compiler need approval to check
in changes outside of the parts of the compiler they maintain.

        Write After Approval
Scott Bambrough                    scottb@netwinder.org
Laurynas Biveinis                lauras@softhome.net
Phil Blundell                    pb@futuretv.com
Hans Boehm                    hboehm@gcc.gnu.org
Andrew cagney                    cagney@redhat.com
Eric Christopher                echristo@redhat.com
William Cohen                    wcohen@redhat.com
*Paul Eggert                    eggert@twinsun.com
Ben Elliston                    bje@redhat.com
Marc Espie                    espie@cvs.openbsd.org
Kaveh Ghazi                    ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Anthony Green                    green@redhat.com
Stu Grossman                    grossman@redhat.com
Andrew Haley                    aph@redhat.com
Aldy Hernandez                    aldyh@redhat.com
Kazu Hirata                    kazu@hxi.com
Manfred Hollstein                mhollstein@redhat.com
Jan Hubicka                    hubicka@freesoft.cz
Andreas Jaeger                    aj@suse.de
Jakub Jelinek                    jakub@redhat.com
Klaus Kaempf                    kkaempf@progis.de
Brendan Kehoe                    brendan@redhat.com
Mumit Khan                    khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Marc Lehmann                    pcg@goof.com
Alan Lehotsky                    apl@alum.mit.edu
Warren Levy                    warrenl@redhat.com
Kriang Lerdsuwanakij                lerdsuwa@users.sourceforge.net
Don Lindsay                    dlindsay@redhat.com
Dave Love                    d.love@dl.ac.uk
Martin v. Löwis                    loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
*HJ Lu                        hjl@lucon.org
Andrew Macleod                    amacleod@redhat.com
Vladimir Makarov                vmakarov@redhat.com
Greg McGary                    gkm@gnu.org
Bryce McKinlay                    bryce@gcc.gnu.org
Alan Modra                    alan@linuxcare.com.au
Toon Moene                    toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Catherine Moore                    clm@redhat.com
Joseph Myers                    jsm28@cam.ac.uk
Hans-Peter Nilsson                hp@bitrange.com
Diego Novillo                    dnovillo@redhat.com
David O'Brien                    obrien@FreeBSD.org
Jeffrey D. Oldham                oldham@codesourcery.com
Alexandre Petit-Bianco                apbianco@redhat.com
Clinton Popetz                    cpopetz@cpopetz.com
Ken Raeburn                    raeburn@redhat.com
Rolf Rasmussen                    rolfwr@gcc.gnu.org
Gabriel Dos Reis                                dosreis@cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Alex Samuel                    samuel@codesourcery.com
Bernd Schmidt                    bernds@redhat.com
Andreas Schwab                    schwab@suse.de
Stan Shebs                    shebs@apple.com
Nathan Sidwell                    nathan@acm.org
Franz Sirl                    franz.sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com
Michael Sokolov                    msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG
Mike Stump                    mrs@windriver.com
Ian Taylor                    ian@zembu.com
Philipp Thomas                    pthomas@suse.de
Kresten Krab Thorup                krab@gcc.gnu.org
Tom Tromey                    tromey@redhat.com
John Wehle                    john@feith.com
Mark Wielaard                    mark@gcc.gnu.org
* Indicates folks we need to get Kerberos/ssh accounts ready so they
can write in the source tree

Re: Patch application

Date:
> > I understand the formalistic problem, and maybe I overstated its
> > formality, but it seems it would be good to maintain a list for two
> > reasons:
>
> I don't have a problem with keeping an informal list of area experts.
> I was just objecting to the notion of formal signoffs (I doubt Peter E.
> wants to look at every single Makefile change, for example).

OK, that is good.  I think it will make a nice web page.

> Also, there's a point that keeps coming up in these discussions: the
> standards need to be different depending on what time of the release
> cycle it is.  Perhaps formal signoffs *are* appropriate when we're
> this late in beta.

Oh, yes, agreed, beta requires signoffs.

But I can't seem to get patches in that don't require some _expert_ to
come along and improve it.  If the _experts_ are OK with that, then that
is fine, but if they want things done differently somehow, I want to
meet their needs.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Patch application

Date:
Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> In projects like gcc and the GNU binutils, we use a MAINTAINERS file.
> Some people have blanket write privileges.  Some people have write
> priviliges to certain areas of the code.  Anybody else needs a patch
> to be approved before they can check it in.  Patches which are
> ``obviously correct'' are always OK.

Would you enlarge on what that fourth sentence means in practice?

Seems like the sticky issue here is what constitutes "approval".
We already have a policy that changes originating from non-committers
are supposed to be reviewed before they get applied, but what Bruce
is worried about is the quality of the review process.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Patch application

From
Ian Lance Taylor
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> > In projects like gcc and the GNU binutils, we use a MAINTAINERS file.
> > Some people have blanket write privileges.  Some people have write
> > priviliges to certain areas of the code.  Anybody else needs a patch
> > to be approved before they can check it in.  Patches which are
> > ``obviously correct'' are always OK.
>
> Would you enlarge on what that fourth sentence means in practice?
>
> Seems like the sticky issue here is what constitutes "approval".
> We already have a policy that changes originating from non-committers
> are supposed to be reviewed before they get applied, but what Bruce
> is worried about is the quality of the review process.

In practice, what it means is that somebody who has a patch, and does
not have the appropriate privileges, sends it to the mailing list.
Most patches apply to a single part of the code.  The person
responsible for that part of the code, or a person with blanket write
privileges, reviews the patch, and approves it, or denies it, or
approves it with changes.

If approved, and the original submitter has write privileges, he or
she checks it in.  Otherwise, the maintainer who did the review checks
it in.

If approved with changes, and the original submitter has write
privileges, he or she makes the changes and checks it in.  Otherwise
he or she makes the changes, sends them back, and the maintainer who
did the review checks it in.

One advantage of the MAINTAINERS file with respect to the review
process is that it tells you who knows most about particular areas of
the code.  For example, in the gcc MAINTAINERS file I sent earlier,
there are people with blanket write privileges who are also listed as
responsible for particular areas of gcc.

Another advantage is that it reduces load on the maintainers, since
many people can check in their own patches.  Since there are many
people, some sort of control is needed.

The goal is not excessive formalism; as I said, there is nothing which
actually prevents anybody with write privileges from checking in a
patch to any part of the code.  The goal is to guide people to the
right person to approve a particular patch.

Ian

Re: Patch application

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
Bruce, what is the point of even an informal list of "experts"? There
have always been areas that folks have "adopted" or have developed an
interest and expertise in. And we've gotten lots of really great
contributions both large and small from people we barely knew existed
until the patch arrived.

Unless there is a "process improvement" which comes with developing this
list, I don't really see what the benefit will be wrt existance of the
list, developing the list, of deciding who should be on a list, etc etc.

istm that the list of active developers serves the function of
acknowledging contributors. Not sure what another list will do for us,
and it may have the effect of being an artificial barrier or distinction
between folks.

All imho of course ;)
                         - Thomas

Re: Re: Patch application

From
Philip Warner
Date:
At 05:36 20/03/01 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>Unless there is a "process improvement" which comes with developing this
>list, I don't really see what the benefit will be wrt existance of the
>list, developing the list, of deciding who should be on a list, etc etc.

Totally agree; such formality will be barrier and we will gain almost
nothing. It will also further disenfranchise the wider developer community.
ISTM that the motivation is based on one or two isolated incidents where
patches were applied when they should not have been. Tom's suggestion of
insisting on CVS headers will deal with the specific case in point, at far
lesser social and labour overhead.

The last thing we want to do to people who contribute heavily to the
project is say 'Gee, thanks. And you are now responsible for all approvals
on this area of code', especially in late beta, when they are likely to be
quite busy. Similarly, when we are outside the beta phase, we don't need
the process.

I suspect that anybody who has worked on a chunk of code in a release cycle
will keep an eye on what is happening to the code.

My suggestion for handling this process would be to allow an opt-in 'watch'
to be placed on files/modules in CVS (CVS supports this, from memory).
Then, eg, I can say 'send me info when someone makes a match to pg_dump'.
Similarly, when I start working on a module, I can add myself to the list
to be informed when someone changes it underneath me. This would be
genuinely useful to me as a part-time developer.

As a further development from this, it would be good to see a way for bug
reports to be redirected to 'subsystems' (or something like that), which
developers could opt into. So, using myself as an example, I would like
special notification when a pg_dump bug is reported. Similarly, I might
like to be notified when changes are made to the WAL code...

If you want to make cute web pages, and define domain experts, make it
useful, make it opt-in, and make it dynamic.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: Re: Patch application

Date:
OK, seems there have been enough objections that I will not implement a
"experts" page, nor change the way patches are applied.

I will be posting a diff -c of any patches I have to munge into place,
so people can see how stuff was merged into the code.

It seems the problem of people having to massage patches after they are
applied is either not a big deal, or the other ways of applying patches
are considered worse.

> At 05:36 20/03/01 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >
> >Unless there is a "process improvement" which comes with developing this
> >list, I don't really see what the benefit will be wrt existance of the
> >list, developing the list, of deciding who should be on a list, etc etc.
> >

> Totally agree; such formality will be barrier and we will gain almost
> nothing. It will also further disenfranchise the wider developer community.
> ISTM that the motivation is based on one or two isolated incidents where
> patches were applied when they should not have been. Tom's suggestion of
> insisting on CVS headers will deal with the specific case in point, at far
> lesser social and labour overhead.
>
> The last thing we want to do to people who contribute heavily to the
> project is say 'Gee, thanks. And you are now responsible for all approvals
> on this area of code', especially in late beta, when they are likely to be
> quite busy. Similarly, when we are outside the beta phase, we don't need
> the process.
>
> I suspect that anybody who has worked on a chunk of code in a release cycle
> will keep an eye on what is happening to the code.
>
> My suggestion for handling this process would be to allow an opt-in 'watch'
> to be placed on files/modules in CVS (CVS supports this, from memory).
> Then, eg, I can say 'send me info when someone makes a match to pg_dump'.
> Similarly, when I start working on a module, I can add myself to the list
> to be informed when someone changes it underneath me. This would be
> genuinely useful to me as a part-time developer.
>
> As a further development from this, it would be good to see a way for bug
> reports to be redirected to 'subsystems' (or something like that), which
> developers could opt into. So, using myself as an example, I would like
> special notification when a pg_dump bug is reported. Similarly, I might
> like to be notified when changes are made to the WAL code...
>
> If you want to make cute web pages, and define domain experts, make it
> useful, make it opt-in, and make it dynamic.

> Philip Warner                    |     __---_____
> Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd.   |----/       -  \
> (A.B.N. 75 008 659 498)          |          /(@)   ______---_
> Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81         |                 _________  \