grant privileges to a database

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
Is there a way to grant a user with all privileges on a database? Something
like Informixs GRANT dba?

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.

Re: grant privileges to a database

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
El Mar 30 Ene 2001 10:08, Martin A. Marques escribió:
> Is there a way to grant a user with all privileges on a database? Something
> like Informixs GRANT dba?

OK, I see that no one responded (except one person how made a personal
responce), so I'll add a bit to it.
I seem to be aware that Postgres doesn't have a function to grant total
access to a database, so is it posible to have this added to the todo list
for further versions? Or is it posible to build a user-function that will let
me do this:

postgres@ultra3:~ > psql horde

horde=# CREATE DATABASE test;
CREATE DATABASE
horde=# GRANT dba TO martin; -- here is the grant issue.
GRANT
horde=# \c test martin;
You are now connected to database test as user martin.
test=# CREATE TABLE (aid SERIAL, texto TEXT);
CREATE TABLE
test=#

Saludos... ;-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: [GENERAL] Re: grant privileges to a database

From
Michael Fork
Date:
This is the closest thing to what you want:

GRANT ALL ON table TO user;

(see http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/user/sql-grant.htm)

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio

Date:
El Mié 31 Ene 2001 15:53, Michael Fork escribió:
> This is the closest thing to what you want:
>
> GRANT ALL ON table TO user;
>
> (see http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/user/sql-grant.htm)

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I'm asking for an opinion of the
developers on this issue.
I think it would be a nice feature, so that the postgres user creates the
database and gives all kind of permissions on that database to another user,
which doesn't have to be able to create databases.

Any comments?

--

Date:
El Mié 31 Ene 2001 18:32, Dan Wilson escribió:
> You can do this in phpPgAdmin... it's a hack because it just pulls in all
> the objects/relations and runs a single grant statement on them, but it
> works.  It puts together a query like the following:
>
> GRANT ALL ON table1, table2, table3, view1, view2, sequence1, sequence2 TO
> user
>
> Which I suppose you can do manually if you don't have phpPgAdmin installed.
>
> It ain't the prettiest, but it works!

The problem is that this is not what I'm looking for. I want the user to be
able to create new tables, views, sequences, etc on that database.

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: [GENERAL] Re: grant privileges to a database

From
GH
Date:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 03:39:46PM -0700, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> : El Mié 31 Ene 2001 18:32, Dan Wilson escribió:
> : > You can do this in phpPgAdmin... it's a hack because it just pulls in
> all
> : > the objects/relations and runs a single grant statement on them, but it
> : > works.  It puts together a query like the following:
> : >
> : > GRANT ALL ON table1, table2, table3, view1, view2, sequence1, sequence2
> : > user
> : >
> : > Which I suppose you can do manually if you don't have phpPgAdmin
> installed.
> : >
> : > It ain't the prettiest, but it works!
> :
> : The problem is that this is not what I'm looking for. I want the user to
> be
> : able to create new tables, views, sequences, etc on that database.
>
> Oh, if you want to do that, then you don't have to do any granting of
> priviledges.  It seems that Postgres allows any user to create a table on a

Er, to delete anything, the user would need to be a superuser.
Else, nyet, not necessary.

> database.  Even if the user is not the owner of the database.  AFAIK, there
> are no acl's associated with the database.

For the heck of it, I will certify that this is correct.

> I've posed this question before and have not received any response, but is
> this an undocumented feature or a sercurity bug?  Personally, I don't think
> anyone should be able to create relations on a database they do not own.

It is both, depending on how you use it. ;-)

I would and do consider it a blindingly silly security risk, but
apparently nobody else does. I asked before, but...
Just why the hell would somebody want *any* user of *any* database to be
able to *create* anything under *any* other database?!?

dan

;-)

> -Dan

Re: [GENERAL] Re: grant privileges to a database

From
"Dan Wilson"
Date:

Date: