pg_shadow.usecatupd attribute

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
While I'm at it and before I forget the 76 places one needs to edit to
add/remove a system catalog column, what are people's feelings about the
usecatupd column?

The use of this field is that, if false, it disallows any direct
modification of system catalogs, even for superusers.  In the past there
were several opinions that this field was useless/confusing/stupid/not
worthwhile.

I'm also going to remove the usetrace column, since that's not used.

(post-7.1 material, btw.)

Re: pg_shadow.usecatupd attribute

Date:
Yes, I vote for removal.

> While I'm at it and before I forget the 76 places one needs to edit to
> add/remove a system catalog column, what are people's feelings about the
> usecatupd column?
>
> The use of this field is that, if false, it disallows any direct
> modification of system catalogs, even for superusers.  In the past there
> were several opinions that this field was useless/confusing/stupid/not
> worthwhile.
>
> I'm also going to remove the usetrace column, since that's not used.
>
> (post-7.1 material, btw.)
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

Pennsylvania19026

Re: pg_shadow.usecatupd attribute

Date:
> While I'm at it and before I forget the 76 places one needs to edit to
> add/remove a system catalog column, what are people's feelings about the
> usecatupd column?

Unless someone pops up and says that they're actually using it,
I'd agree with removing it.  It seems like the sort of thing that
might be a good idea but isn't actually getting used.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_shadow.usecatupd attribute

From
Alex Pilosov
Date:
Just to clarify for stupid me: you want to remove it and forbid catalog
updates or remove it and allow catalog updates? (I hope its latter :)

Date:
Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> writes:
> Just to clarify for stupid me: you want to remove it and forbid catalog
> updates or remove it and allow catalog updates? (I hope its latter :)

Right, the latter.  If anyone is actually using usecatupd to prevent
themselves from shooting themselves in the foot, speak now or forever
hold your peace ...
        regards, tom lane