pg_dump with BLOBS & V7.0.2 UPDATED

From
Philip Warner
Date:
Another update of the dump code; this fixes a few bugs that people without
zlib under 7.02 would have experienced. Also, if you wish to use zlib, you
need to modify the Makefile to add -DHAVE_LIBZ to the CFLAGS....

--- Original announcement ----

There is a new version of pg_dump (with blob support) at:

    ftp://ftp.rhyme.com.au/pub/postgresql/pg_dump/blobs/

This version supports TAR output and has a few bug fixes. There are two
versions to download:

   pg_dump_...CVS.tar.gz
and
   pg_dump_...702.tar.gz

which can be used to build against CVS and version 7.0.2 respectively.

A TAR format dump is produced by using the -Ft option, and can be used as
input into pg_restore. As with the previous release, BLOBs can only be
reloaded by pg_restore if a db connection is used (via --db=<dbname>).

Any comments & suggestions would be appreciated...

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: pg_dump with BLOBS & V7.0.2 UPDATED

From
Pavel.Janik@linux.cz (Pavel Janík ml.)
   From: Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>
   Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:49:35 +1000

Hi Philip,

   > Another update of the dump code; this fixes a few bugs that people without
   > zlib under 7.02 would have experienced. Also, if you wish to use zlib, you
   > need to modify the Makefile to add -DHAVE_LIBZ to the CFLAGS....

please apply attached patch for 7.0.2 version. It is long, but it only
removes Makefile and creates Makefile.in which can be used for 7.0.2. With
this patch applied, just untar the newest snapshot to src/bin/pg_dump and
you can continue with normal installation: configure && make && make install.

Thank you for good work.
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@linux.cz

Attachment

Re: Re: pg_dump with BLOBS & V7.0.2 UPDATED

   From: Pavel.Janik@linux.cz (Pavel Janík ml.)
   Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:11:05 +0200

Hi,

   > this patch applied, just untar the newest snapshot to src/bin/pg_dump
   > and you can continue with normal installation: configure && make &&
   > make install.

hmm. PG_VERSION is defined as 0 in version.h:

#define PG_VERSION              "0"

but in CVS version the variable is defined in config.h:

#define PG_VERSION "7.1devel"

So if you compile the new pg_dump as I wrote above, you must use
--ignore-version:

SnowWhite:/home/pavel$ pg_dump db
Database version: Archiver(db)
PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.3 version: 0
Aborting because of version mismatch.
Use --ignore-version if you think it's safe to proceed anyway.
SnowWhite:/home/pavel$

I think this is the correct (and smallest :-) patch:

--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@linux.cz

Attachment