AW: lztext and compression ratios...

From
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Date:
> I went at it in a different way: pulled out pg_lzcompress into a
> standalone source program that could also call zlib.

If you want you could give minilzo a try.

LZO is a data compression library which is suitable for data de-/compression
in real-time.
LZO implements the fastest compression and decompression algorithms around.
See the ratings for lzop in the famous Archive Comparison Test .

LZO needs no memory for decompression, 64k or 8k for compression.

LZO and the LZO algorithms and implementations are distributed under the
terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) { auf Deutsch }. Special
licenses for commercial and other applications are available by contacting
the author.

See http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/lzo.html

Andreas

Re: AW: lztext and compression ratios...

Date:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
> LZO and the LZO algorithms and implementations are distributed under the
> terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) { auf Deutsch }.

GPL is alone a fatal objection for something that has to go into the
guts of Postgres.

More to the point, does it have the same patent-freedom credentials zlib
does?  I trust Gailly's opinion about zlib being patent-free because
he spent more time researching the legalities than he did writing code
(and also because zlib has now been around for quite some time with no
challenges).  What assurances does LZO offer that we won't be stepping
on a patent mine?
        regards, tom lane