New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...

If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
can see it in action.

The WebMaster still has to do formatting work on it, and link it into the
main site, and the database is just being populated right now, and ...

... but its a start.

So far, from what i've seen, its a nice tool ... I like the fact that
there is no such thing as "Search downtime", since the indexer can run
while ppl are seaching.  With ht/Dig, while it was indexing, the databases
were down and you couldn't search anything...

And, I think, its much faster then the old, but am not sure about that...

Oh well, give her a go, but expect changes over the next little while as
we integrate it better...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> So far, from what i've seen, its a nice tool ... I like the fact that
> there is no such thing as "Search downtime", since the indexer can run
> while ppl are seaching.  With ht/Dig, while it was indexing, the databases
> were down and you couldn't search anything...

   You are certailnly wrong, as htDig has a concept of "work files" (option -a).

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net

Date:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > So far, from what i've seen, its a nice tool ... I like the fact that
> > there is no such thing as "Search downtime", since the indexer can run
> > while ppl are seaching.  With ht/Dig, while it was indexing, the databases
> > were down and you couldn't search anything...
>
>    You are certailnly wrong, as htDig has a concept of "work files"
> (option -a).

Ah, okay...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
> going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...
>
> If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
> can see it in action.

Site-wide search for pgsql yielded no results moments ago.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr

Ed Loehr wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
> > going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...
> >
> > If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
> > can see it in action.
>
> Site-wide search for pgsql yielded no results moments ago.

Correction:  Search in hackers/general for pgsql yields no results.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr

Re: [GENERAL] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Ed Loehr
I said:   "There aren't any results for pgsql..."

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> ... and the database is just being populated right now, and ...

D'oh!!!  Read more carefully!  My apologies for the brain-dead spam...

Date:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Ed Loehr wrote:

> I said:   "There aren't any results for pgsql..."
>
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > ... and the database is just being populated right now, and ...
>
> D'oh!!!  Read more carefully!  My apologies for the brain-dead spam...

ya, still playing with things...am currently doing the docs directory, and
then will start hitting the mailing lists...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Adriaan Joubert
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
> going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...
>
> If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
> can see it in action.

So I search the hackers mailing list for 'outer join' and get no results. I
search the hackers mailing list for 'join' and still get
                                                   Sorry, but search returned no
results.
                                            Try to produce less restrictive
search query.

Am I missing something?

Adriaan

Re: [HACKERS] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
> > going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...
> >
> > If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
> > can see it in action.
> >

> So I search the hackers mailing list for 'outer join' and get no results. I
> search the hackers mailing list for 'join' and still get
>
>                                                     Sorry, but search returned no
> results.
>
>                                              Try to produce less restrictive
> search query.
>
> Am I missing something?

No, the database just isn't fully populated yet.  Due to the amount of
data that has to go in, it takes a long time to parse.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net  128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup:
$17.95/moor less at Pop4       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > Well, we've finally gotten what seems to be a working version of this
> > going, and, so far, I'm quite impressed...
> >
> > If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/search.cgi (URL to change), you
> > can see it in action.
> >

> So I search the hackers mailing list for 'outer join' and get no results. I
> search the hackers mailing list for 'join' and still get
>
>                                                     Sorry, but search returned no
> results.
>
>                                              Try to produce less restrictive
> search query.
>
> Am I missing something?

Ya, the note right at the bottom of my announcement that stats that the
database is currently being populated :)  Its currently up to 8500+
documents indexed, and pgsql-sql and docs are the ones currently
done...-hackers is next ...

Re: [HACKERS] New Search Engine ... UdmSearch

From
Adriaan Joubert

> Ya, the note right at the bottom of my announcement that stats that the
> database is currently being populated :)  Its currently up to 8500+
> documents indexed, and pgsql-sql and docs are the ones currently
> done...-hackers is next ...

Ooops, sorry, feel a right idiot now.... Let us know when it is all there and I'll
have another look.

Adriaan