Availability of SQL standards

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
As I get more involved with this project, and just in general, I was
thinking that it might be a good idea to have the SQL standards around.
I understand that the standards organizations are selling those, but a
quick search showed way too many documents at way too high prices in a way
too far away locality.

Are there any commercially available books that cover these as well to a
reasonable extent? I guess I can live without the technical grammar specs
if it shrinks volume and price. Of course an overview of actual
implementations (a.k.a. "how does Oracle do it") might be nice, too. I'm
not talking about any "Intro to SQL" books here, but the full deal. What
do you use?

Re: [HACKERS] Availability of SQL standards

Date:
> As I get more involved with this project, and just in general, I was
> thinking that it might be a good idea to have the SQL standards around.
> I understand that the standards organizations are selling those, but a
> quick search showed way too many documents at way too high prices in a way
> too far away locality.
>
> Are there any commercially available books that cover these as well to a
> reasonable extent? I guess I can live without the technical grammar specs
> if it shrinks volume and price. Of course an overview of actual
> implementations (a.k.a. "how does Oracle do it") might be nice, too. I'm
> not talking about any "Intro to SQL" books here, but the full deal. What
> do you use?

I have <I>A Guide to the SQL Standard,</I> by C.J. Date, et. al,
Addison, Wesley

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Availability of SQL standards

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote: >As I get more involved with this project, and just in general, I was >thinking that it might
bea good idea to have the SQL standards around. >I understand that the standards organizations are selling those, but a
>quicksearch showed way too many documents at way too high prices in a way >too far away locality. > >Are there any
commerciallyavailable books that cover these as well to a >reasonable extent? I guess I can live without the technical
grammarspecs >if it shrinks volume and price. Of course an overview of actual >implementations (a.k.a. "how does Oracle
doit") might be nice, too. I'm >not talking about any "Intro to SQL" books here, but the full deal. What >do you use?

I have "SQL - The Standard Handbook" by SJ Cannan and GAM Otten, published
by McGraw-Hill 1993.  ISBN: 0-07-707664-8.  It cost me 35 pounds, 5 years
ago.  It covers SQL-92 and it contains an appendix with the syntax in
BNF notation.

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth.
  Therefore despise thou not the chastening of the       Almighty."         Job 5:17

Re: [HACKERS] Availability of SQL standards

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> What do you use?

As does Bruce, I use the Date book. One nice feature of the newest
editions is that there is mention of SQL3 in an appendix.

Also, we have a 1992 draft version of the SQL92 standard which seems
to match up pretty well with the final release. I can send copies if
you would like...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California