PostgreSQL book translation

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Bruce,

We (PostgreSQL users in Japan) have formed a non-profit,
non-commercial PostgreSQL user's group, called JPUG (Japan PostgreSQL
User's Group) this July. We have over 240 members now. You can visit
our web page at http://www.jp.postgresql.org/ (all contents are
written in Japanese).

What we are thinking about is translating your PostgreSQL book into
Japanese. We want not only the result be published from an appropriate
publisher, but also the whole contents could be viewed by anyone on the
Internet as well. I'm not sure this would conflict with the contract
you have made with your publisher though.

How do you think?
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL book translation

Date:
> Bruce,
>
> We (PostgreSQL users in Japan) have formed a non-profit,
> non-commercial PostgreSQL user's group, called JPUG (Japan PostgreSQL
> User's Group) this July. We have over 240 members now. You can visit
> our web page at http://www.jp.postgresql.org/ (all contents are
> written in Japanese).

Sure.  Addison, Wesley has the foreign publishing rights.  I am CC'ing
my publisher contact on this.  You can reach him directly.  This
publisher has extensive experience with foreign publishing.

> What we are thinking about is translating your PostgreSQL book into
> Japanese. We want not only the result be published from an appropriate
> publisher, but also the whole contents could be viewed by anyone on the
> Internet as well. I'm not sure this would conflict with the contract
> you have made with your publisher though.

As you know, the book is on the Internet now, and will remain there
after I complete it.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > We (PostgreSQL users in Japan) have formed a non-profit,
> > non-commercial PostgreSQL user's group, called JPUG (Japan PostgreSQL
> > User's Group) this July. We have over 240 members now. You can visit
> > our web page at http://www.jp.postgresql.org/ (all contents are
> > written in Japanese).
>
> Sure.  Addison, Wesley has the foreign publishing rights.  I am CC'ing
> my publisher contact on this.  You can reach him directly.  This
> publisher has extensive experience with foreign publishing.

Thanks. I will contact him.

> > What we are thinking about is translating your PostgreSQL book into
> > Japanese. We want not only the result be published from an appropriate
> > publisher, but also the whole contents could be viewed by anyone on the
> > Internet as well. I'm not sure this would conflict with the contract
> > you have made with your publisher though.
>
> As you know, the book is on the Internet now, and will remain there
> after I complete it.

Great!
---
Tatsuo Ishii