Re: [BUGS] [Keystone Slip # 14] Building pristine source on RedHat Alpha6.0

Date:
> Bruce,
>

> Dead sure.  It took me some time to locate the offending line. I
> initially thought it was a shell expansion problem.

Yikes.  Is this the expected behavour?  Does anyone else see this?

> The platform is RedHat linux 6.0 with egcs-2.91.66.
> [me@linny2 src]# ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking host system type... alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking echo setting...
> checking setting template to... linux_alpha
> checking setting USE_LOCALE... disabled
> checking setting CYR_RECODE... disabled
> checking setting MULTIBYTE... disabled
> checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
> checking setting DEF_MAXBACKENDS... 32
> checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
> checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
> checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
> checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -mieee  # optimization -O2
> removed becau
> se of egcs problem ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot creat
> e executables.
>

> Peter
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Slip number -----: 14
> > > Problem ---------: Building pristine source on RedHat Alpha 6.0
> > > Opened by -------: bannisp@cwdom.dm on 07/24/99 22:36
> > > Assigned To -----: thomas
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Hmm.  That is strange.  I thought the Makefile would honor the # and not
> > pass it through.  No one else has reported this as a problem. Are you
> > sure?
> >
> > --
> >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
> >   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Pennsylvania19026

> Yikes.  Is this the expected behavour?  Does anyone else see this?

>> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -mieee  # optimization -O2
>> removed because of egcs problem ) works... no
>> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>> cannot create executables.

Yup, I see exactly the same thing when I add a # comment to CFLAGS in
my template file.  I think it is only safe to put # comments on their
own lines in template files.  A quick grep shows that linux_alpha is
the only template that violates that rule.

gmake might, but autoconf is a different story...
        regards, tom lane

> > Bruce,
> >

> > Dead sure.  It took me some time to locate the offending line. I
> > initially thought it was a shell expansion problem.
>
> Yikes.  Is this the expected behavour?  Does anyone else see this?
>

> > The platform is RedHat linux 6.0 with egcs-2.91.66.
> > [me@linny2 src]# ./configure
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > checking host system type... alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -mieee  # optimization -O2
> > removed becau
> > se of egcs problem ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > cannot creat
> > e executables.
> >

> > Peter
> >
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

The same sort of thing happens with OSF1 unless you specify
./configure --with-template=alpha_gcc
There are comments in the documentation that a few changes are needed
but I have not found what they were/are. For grins I installed egcs as
gcc and I still get this during the make so those "changes" for OSF1
would be nice. Else I get to puzzle out what's happening. Does anybody
have DEC OSF working with postgress?? :-)

ld -r -o SUBSYS.o md.o mm.o smgr.o smgrtype.o
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/smgr'
for i in buffer file ipc large_object lmgr page smgr; do gmake -C $i
buffer/SUBSYS.o; done
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/buffer'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/buffer'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/file'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/file'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/ipc'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/ipc'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/large_object'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/large_object'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/lmgr'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/lmgr'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/page'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/page'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backe
nd/storage/smgr'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `buffer/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage/smgr'
gmake[2]: *** [buffer/SUBSYS.o] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d/storage'
gmake[1]: *** [storage.dir] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/source/local/postgresql/postgresql-6.5/src/backen
d'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

-- Stephen N. Koggestevek@uimage.comhttp://www.uimage.com

> > > Bruce,
> > >

> > > Dead sure.  It took me some time to locate the offending line. I
> > > initially thought it was a shell expansion problem.
> >
> > Yikes.  Is this the expected behavour?  Does anyone else see this?
> >

> > > The platform is RedHat linux 6.0 with egcs-2.91.66.
> > > [me@linny2 src]# ./configure
> > > creating cache ./config.cache
> > > checking host system type... alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
> > > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -mieee  # optimization -O2
> > > removed becau
> > > se of egcs problem ) works... no
> > > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > > cannot creat
> > > e executables.
> > >

> > > Peter
> > >
> > > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > >

>     The same sort of thing happens with OSF1 unless you specify
>
>     ./configure --with-template=alpha_gcc
>
>     There are comments in the documentation that a few changes are needed
> but I have not found what they were/are. For grins I installed egcs as
> gcc and I still get this during the make so those "changes" for OSF1
> would be nice. Else I get to puzzle out what's happening. Does anybody
> have DEC OSF working with postgress?? :-)

OK, I have removed the comment after the optimization flag.  In fact,
the comment is not needed now that we have alpha-specific flags for
certain Makefiles.

Pennsylvania19026