acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?
---
Tatsuo Ishii

--------------------------- cut here ----------------------------------
*** pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/acl.c~    Wed May 26 01:11:49 1999
--- pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/acl.c    Tue Jun 29 09:18:18 1999
***************
*** 235,241 ****     if (!s)         elog(ERROR, "aclitemin: null string");
!     aip = (AclItem *) palloc(sizeof(AclItem));     if (!aip)         elog(ERROR, "aclitemin: palloc failed");     s =
aclparse(s,aip, &modechg);

--- 235,241 ----     if (!s)         elog(ERROR, "aclitemin: null string");
!     aip = (AclItem *) palloc(ACLITEM_SIZE);     if (!aip)         elog(ERROR, "aclitemin: palloc failed");     s =
aclparse(s,aip, &modechg);

***************
*** 445,460 ****         {                        /* end */             memmove((char *) new_aip,
(char*) old_aip,

!                     num * sizeof(AclItem));         }         else         {                        /* middle */
      memmove((char *) new_aip,                     (char *) old_aip,

!                     dst * sizeof(AclItem));             memmove((char *) (new_aip + dst + 1),
(char*) (old_aip + dst),

!                     (num - dst) * sizeof(AclItem));         }         new_aip[dst].ai_id = mod_aip->ai_id;
new_aip[dst].ai_idtype= mod_aip->ai_idtype;

--- 445,460 ----         {                        /* end */             memmove((char *) new_aip,
(char*) old_aip,

!                     num * ACLITEM_SIZE);         }         else         {                        /* middle */
   memmove((char *) new_aip,                     (char *) old_aip,

!                     dst * ACLITEM_SIZE);             memmove((char *) (new_aip + dst + 1),                     (char
*)(old_aip + dst),

!                     (num - dst) * ACLITEM_SIZE);         }         new_aip[dst].ai_id = mod_aip->ai_id;
new_aip[dst].ai_idtype= mod_aip->ai_idtype;

***************
*** 493,499 ****             }             ARR_DIMS(new_acl)[0] = num - 1;             /* Adjust also the array size
becauseit is used for memmove */

!             ARR_SIZE(new_acl) -= sizeof(AclItem);             break;         }     }
--- 493,499 ----             }             ARR_DIMS(new_acl)[0] = num - 1;             /* Adjust also the array size
becauseit is used for memmove */

!             ARR_SIZE(new_acl) -= ACLITEM_SIZE;             break;         }     }
***************
*** 556,571 ****         {                        /* end */             memmove((char *) new_aip,
(char*) old_aip,

!                     new_num * sizeof(AclItem));         }         else         {                        /* middle */
          memmove((char *) new_aip,                     (char *) old_aip,

!                     dst * sizeof(AclItem));             memmove((char *) (new_aip + dst),                     (char
*)(old_aip + dst + 1),

!                     (new_num - dst) * sizeof(AclItem));         }     }     return new_acl;
--- 556,571 ----         {                        /* end */             memmove((char *) new_aip,
(char*) old_aip,

!                     new_num * ACLITEM_SIZE);         }         else         {                        /* middle */
       memmove((char *) new_aip,                     (char *) old_aip,

!                     dst * ACLITEM_SIZE);             memmove((char *) (new_aip + dst),                     (char *)
(old_aip+ dst + 1),

!                     (new_num - dst) * ACLITEM_SIZE);         }     }     return new_acl;
***************
*** 682,688 ****     ChangeACLStmt *n = makeNode(ChangeACLStmt);     char        str[MAX_PARSE_BUFFER];
!     n->aclitem = (AclItem *) palloc(sizeof(AclItem));      /* the grantee string is "G <group_name>", "U
<user_name>",or "ALL" */     if (grantee[0] == 'G')        /* group permissions */

--- 682,688 ----     ChangeACLStmt *n = makeNode(ChangeACLStmt);     char        str[MAX_PARSE_BUFFER];
!     n->aclitem = (AclItem *) palloc(ACLITEM_SIZE);      /* the grantee string is "G <group_name>", "U  <user_name>",
or"ALL" */     if (grantee[0] == 'G')        /* group permissions */

*** pgsql/src/include/catalog/pg_type.h~    Wed May 26 01:13:48 1999
--- pgsql/src/include/catalog/pg_type.h    Tue Jun 29 09:13:46 1999
***************
*** 341,348 **** DATA(insert OID = 1025 (  _tinterval PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 704 array_in array_out array_in
array_outi _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1026 (  _filename  PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 605 array_in array_out array_in
array_outi _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1027 (  _polygon     PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 604 array_in array_out array_in
array_outd _null_ ));

- /* Note: the size of an aclitem needs to match sizeof(AclItem) in acl.h */ DATA(insert OID = 1033 (  aclitem
PGUID8   -1 f b t \054 0 0 aclitemin aclitemout aclitemin aclitemout i _null_ )); DESCR("access control list");
DATA(insertOID = 1034 (  _aclitem     PGUID -1 -1 f b t \054 0 1033 array_in array_out array_in array_out i _null_ ));
DATA(insertOID = 1040 (  _macaddr     PGUID -1 -1 f b t \054 0  829 array_in array_out array_in array_out i _null_ ));

--- 341,348 ---- DATA(insert OID = 1025 (  _tinterval PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 704 array_in array_out array_in
array_outi _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1026 (  _filename  PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 605 array_in array_out array_in
array_outi _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1027 (  _polygon     PGUID -1  -1 f b t \054 0 604 array_in array_out array_in
array_outd _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1033 (  aclitem     PGUID 8   -1 f b t \054 0 0 aclitemin aclitemout aclitemin
aclitemouti _null_ ));

+ #define ACLITEM_SIZE 8 DESCR("access control list"); DATA(insert OID = 1034 (  _aclitem     PGUID -1 -1 f b t \054 0
1033array_in array_out array_in array_out i _null_ )); DATA(insert OID = 1040 (  _macaddr     PGUID -1 -1 f b t \054 0
829array_in array_out array_in array_out i _null_ ));

*** pgsql/src/include/utils/acl.h~    Sun Feb 14 08:22:14 1999
--- pgsql/src/include/utils/acl.h    Tue Jun 29 09:17:40 1999
***************
*** 24,29 ****
--- 24,30 ----  #include <nodes/parsenodes.h> #include <utils/array.h>
+ #include <catalog/pg_type.h>  /*  * AclId        system identifier for the user, group, etc.
***************
*** 79,84 ****
--- 80,92 ---- /* Note: if the size of AclItem changes,    change the aclitem typlen in pg_type.h */
+ /* There used to be a wrong assumption that sizeof(AclItem) was
+    always same in all platforms.
+    Of course this is not true for certain platform (for example
+    NetBSD/m68k). For now we use ACLITEM_SIZE defined in catalog/pg_type.h
+    instead of sizeof(AclItem) -- 1999/6/29 Tatsuo
+    */
+  /*  * The value of the first dimension-array element.    Since these arrays  * always have a lower-bound of 0, this
isthe same as the number of

***************
*** 94,100 **** #define ACL_NUM(ACL)            ARR_DIM0(ACL) #define ACL_DAT(ACL)            ((AclItem *)
ARR_DATA_PTR(ACL))#define ACL_N_SIZE(N) \

!         ((unsigned) (ARR_OVERHEAD(1) + ((N) * sizeof(AclItem)))) #define ACL_SIZE(ACL)            ARR_SIZE(ACL)  /*
--- 102,108 ---- #define ACL_NUM(ACL)            ARR_DIM0(ACL) #define ACL_DAT(ACL)            ((AclItem *)
ARR_DATA_PTR(ACL))#define ACL_N_SIZE(N) \

!         ((unsigned) (ARR_OVERHEAD(1) + ((N) * ACLITEM_SIZE))) #define ACL_SIZE(ACL)            ARR_SIZE(ACL)  /*

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
> grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
> assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
> going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
> ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
> patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?

I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
correct thing to use?  Replacing it with a hardwired "8" seems like
a step backwards --- not to mention a direct contradiction of what
you claim the patch is doing.

Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
good thing to be able to do on general principles.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
> > assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
> > going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
> > ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
> > patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?
>
> I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
> correct thing to use?  Replacing it with a hardwired "8" seems like
> a step backwards --- not to mention a direct contradiction of what
> you claim the patch is doing.
>
> Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
> modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
> into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
> good thing to be able to do on general principles.

This makes a lot of sense.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
>> grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
>> assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
>> going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
>> ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
>> patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?
>
>I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
>correct thing to use?

In NetBSD/m68k sizeof(AclItem) = 6, not 8.

>Replacing it with a hardwired "8" seems like
>a step backwards --- not to mention a direct contradiction of what
>you claim the patch is doing.

It's already hard wired in pg_type.h, isn't it.

>Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
>modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
>into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
>good thing to be able to do on general principles.

Glad to hear you have better idea. Anyway, NetBSD/m68k users need some
way to fix the problem now, since the problem seems very serious.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
One item on this.  Let's try to get a proper fix that does not require
an initdb for 6.5.1 for m68 users.

> >> grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
> >> assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
> >> going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
> >> ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
> >> patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?
> >
> >I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
> >correct thing to use?
>
> In NetBSD/m68k sizeof(AclItem) = 6, not 8.
>
> >Replacing it with a hardwired "8" seems like
> >a step backwards --- not to mention a direct contradiction of what
> >you claim the patch is doing.
>
> It's already hard wired in pg_type.h, isn't it.
>
> >Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
> >modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
> >into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
> >good thing to be able to do on general principles.
>
> Glad to hear you have better idea. Anyway, NetBSD/m68k users need some
> way to fix the problem now, since the problem seems very serious.
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
>> I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
>> correct thing to use?

> In NetBSD/m68k sizeof(AclItem) = 6, not 8.

Oh, I see: the struct contains int32, uint8, uint8, and so it will
be padded to a multiple of int32's alignment requirement --- which
is 4 most places but only 2 on m68k.

>> Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
>> modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
>> into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
>> good thing to be able to do on general principles.
>
> Glad to hear you have better idea. Anyway, NetBSD/m68k users need some
> way to fix the problem now, since the problem seems very serious.

There are two ways we could attack this: (1) put a "pad" field into
struct AclItem (prolly two uint8s) to try to ensure that compilers
would think it is 8 bytes long, or (2) make the size field for aclitem
in pg_type.h read "sizeof(AclItem)".  I think the latter is a better
long-term solution, because it eliminates having to try to guess
what a compiler will do with a struct declaration.  But there are
several possible counterarguments:

* It might require patching the scripts that read pg_type.h --- I
am not sure if they'd work unmodified.

* We'd either need to #include acl.h into pg_type.h or push the
declarations for AclItem into some more-widely-used header.

* In theory this would represent an initdb change and couldn't
be applied before 6.6.  In practice, Postgres isn't working right
now on any platform where sizeof(AclItem) != 8, so initdb would
*not* be needed for any working installation.

I don't think any of these counterarguments is a big deal, but
maybe someone else will have a different opinion.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
>One item on this.  Let's try to get a proper fix that does not require
>an initdb for 6.5.1 for m68 users.

Ok. no initdb means we cannot change the length of data type aclitem
(currently 8). I will propose another patch soon (probably change the
AciItem structure).

BTW, I believe Linux/m68k has the same problem. Can someone confirm
this?

grant insert on table to somebody;
\z

shows some strange output on NetBSD/m68k.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
> There are two ways we could attack this: (1) put a "pad" field into
> struct AclItem (prolly two uint8s) to try to ensure that compilers
> would think it is 8 bytes long, or (2) make the size field for aclitem
> in pg_type.h read "sizeof(AclItem)".  I think the latter is a better
> long-term solution, because it eliminates having to try to guess
> what a compiler will do with a struct declaration.  But there are
> several possible counterarguments:
>
> * It might require patching the scripts that read pg_type.h --- I
> am not sure if they'd work unmodified.
>
> * We'd either need to #include acl.h into pg_type.h or push the
> declarations for AclItem into some more-widely-used header.
>
> * In theory this would represent an initdb change and couldn't
> be applied before 6.6.  In practice, Postgres isn't working right
> now on any platform where sizeof(AclItem) != 8, so initdb would
> *not* be needed for any working installation.
>
> I don't think any of these counterarguments is a big deal, but
> maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

My guess is that we are looking at different solutions for 6.5.1 and
6.6.  A good argument for a source tree split.

Currently, initdb runs through pg_type.h using sed/awk, so it can't
see any of the sizeof() defines.  One hokey solution would be to have
the compile process run a small C program that dumps out the acl size
into a file, and have initdb pick up that.  That is a terrible solution,
though.  I guess we don't have any other 'struct' data types that need
to know the size of the struct on a give OS.  Maybe padding with an
Assert() to make sure it stays at the fixed size we specify is a good
solution.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
>> There are two ways we could attack this: (1) put a "pad" field into
>> struct AclItem (prolly two uint8s) to try to ensure that compilers
>> would think it is 8 bytes long, or (2) make the size field for aclitem
>> in pg_type.h read "sizeof(AclItem)".  I think the latter is a better
>> long-term solution, because it eliminates having to try to guess
>> what a compiler will do with a struct declaration.

> Currently, initdb runs through pg_type.h using sed/awk, so it can't
> see any of the sizeof() defines.

Hmm, that does put a bit of a crimp in the idea :-(

> I guess we don't have any other 'struct' data types that need
> to know the size of the struct on a give OS.

Right now I think all the other ones are either single-type structs (eg
point is two float8s, so no padding) or varlena.  But this is something
that will come up again, I foresee...

> Maybe padding with an Assert() to make sure it stays at the fixed size
> we specify is a good solution.

I agree, that's probably an OK patch for now.  When we have more than
one such type it'll probably be time to bite the bullet and implement
a clean solution.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

From
Brian E Gallew
Date:
Then <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> spoke up and said:
> > There are two ways we could attack this: (1) put a "pad" field into
> > struct AclItem (prolly two uint8s) to try to ensure that compilers
> > would think it is 8 bytes long, or (2) make the size field for aclitem
> > in pg_type.h read "sizeof(AclItem)".  I think the latter is a better
> > long-term solution, because it eliminates having to try to guess
> > what a compiler will do with a struct declaration.  But there are
> > several possible counterarguments:
>
> Currently, initdb runs through pg_type.h using sed/awk, so it can't
> see any of the sizeof() defines.  One hokey solution would be to have
> the compile process run a small C program that dumps out the acl size
> into a file, and have initdb pick up that.  That is a terrible solution,
> though.  I guess we don't have any other 'struct' data types that need
> to know the size of the struct on a give OS.  Maybe padding with an
> Assert() to make sure it stays at the fixed size we specify is a good
> solution.

Perhaps it would be easier to pipe the output of cpp on pg_type.h thru
the awk/sed script?  This would have the added advantage of making
other system-dependent changes to pg_type.h easier.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia.      |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance??    |
| Finger geek@cmu.edu for my public key.                            |

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
Did we ever fix this?

> >> grant/revoke does not work in NetBSD/m68k. This is due to the wrong
> >> assumption that sizeof(AclItem) is equal to 8 in all platforms. I am
> >> going to fix this by replacing all occurrence of sizeof(AclItem) to
> >> ACLITEM_SIZE (newly defined as 8 in catalog/pg_type.h). See included
> >> patches. If there's no objection, I will commit them. Comments?
> >
> >I do not like this patch at *all*.  Why is sizeof(AclItem) not the
> >correct thing to use?
>
> In NetBSD/m68k sizeof(AclItem) = 6, not 8.
>
> >Replacing it with a hardwired "8" seems like
> >a step backwards --- not to mention a direct contradiction of what
> >you claim the patch is doing.
>
> It's already hard wired in pg_type.h, isn't it.
>
> >Perhaps the real problem is that the AclItem struct definition needs
> >modification?  Or maybe we need a way to put a machine-dependent size
> >into the pg_type entry for type aclitem?  The latter seems like a
> >good thing to be able to do on general principles.
>
> Glad to hear you have better idea. Anyway, NetBSD/m68k users need some
> way to fix the problem now, since the problem seems very serious.
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

Date:
> Did we ever fix this?

We agreed what to do: add padding field(s) to struct AclItem and
add an Assert() somewhere that would check that sizeof(AclItem) is 8,
while leaving the bulk of the code using sizeof(AclItem) rather than
a #define constant.

But it doesn't look like it got done yet.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > Did we ever fix this?
>
> We agreed what to do: add padding field(s) to struct AclItem and
> add an Assert() somewhere that would check that sizeof(AclItem) is 8,
> while leaving the bulk of the code using sizeof(AclItem) rather than
> a #define constant.
>
> But it doesn't look like it got done yet.

OK, I have added the needed padding, and added an Assert, with comments.

Tatsuo, can you check the problem platform please?

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
>OK, I have added the needed padding, and added an Assert, with comments.
>
>Tatsuo, can you check the problem platform please?

Thanks. I should have done it myself, but didn't have time for it.
Please let me know when you finish the job. I will check on a
NetBSD/m68 machine.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Date: