I thought this was picked up ages ago?

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
While playing with ODBC and MapInfo 5.01, I came across this one:

drop table "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG";

This doesn't work as it seems to ignore the quotes, and convert into lower
case.

Peter

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [HACKERS] I thought this was picked up ages ago?

> While playing with ODBC and MapInfo 5.01, I came across this one:
>
> drop table "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG";
>
> This doesn't work as it seems to ignore the quotes, and convert into lower
> case.

Works in psql, which I think means libpq is OK:
test=> create table "TT" (x int);CREATEtest=> drop table tt;ERROR:  Relation 'tt' does not existtest=> drop table
"TT";DROP

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > While playing with ODBC and MapInfo 5.01, I came across this one:
> >
> > drop table "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG";
> >
> > This doesn't work as it seems to ignore the quotes, and convert into lower
> > case.
>
> Works in psql, which I think means libpq is OK:
>
>     test=> create table "TT" (x int);
>     CREATE
>     test=> drop table tt;
>     ERROR:  Relation 'tt' does not exist
>     test=> drop table "TT";
>     DROP

I tried it on mine (cvs update from last night) using psql and it failed
:-(

Date:
> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > While playing with ODBC and MapInfo 5.01, I came across this one:
> > >
> > > drop table "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG";
> > >
> > > This doesn't work as it seems to ignore the quotes, and convert into lower
> > > case.
> >
> > Works in psql, which I think means libpq is OK:
> >
> >     test=> create table "TT" (x int);
> >     CREATE
> >     test=> drop table tt;
> >     ERROR:  Relation 'tt' does not exist
> >     test=> drop table "TT";
> >     DROP
>
> I tried it on mine (cvs update from last night) using psql and it failed
> :-(

Can you try this exact example and see if that works?

Pennsylvania19026

Date:

> > > Works in psql, which I think means libpq is OK:
> > >
> > >     test=> create table "TT" (x int);
> > >     CREATE
> > >     test=> drop table tt;
> > >     ERROR:  Relation 'tt' does not exist
> > >     test=> drop table "TT";
> > >     DROP
> >
> > I tried it on mine (cvs update from last night) using psql and it failed
> > :-(
> >

> Can you try this exact example and see if that works?

Hmm weird, as it worked. I retried the experiment, and it worked - even
though last night I ended up dropping the database.

What I was trying to do was attempt to get MapInfo to use postgresql for
storing tables using ODBC. For it to work it needs a table called
MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG. The problem is the table/column name case. It sends
the following query which fails:

SELECT "SPATIALTYPE", "TABLENAME", "OWNERNAME", "SPATIALCOLUMN",
"DB_X_LL2, "DB_Y_LL", "DB_X_UR", "DB_Y_UR", "COORDINATESYSTEM", "SYMBOL",
"XCOLUMNNAME", "YCOLUMNNAME" FROM "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG" WHERE TABLENAME =
'wds';

Obviously it's missing the "" from the where clause...

Ah well, back to the drawing board ;-)

Peter

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [HACKERS] I thought this was picked up ages ago?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> What I was trying to do was attempt to get MapInfo to use postgresql for
> storing tables using ODBC. For it to work it needs a table called
> MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG. The problem is the table/column name case. It sends
> the following query which fails:
> SELECT "SPATIALTYPE", "TABLENAME", "OWNERNAME", "SPATIALCOLUMN",
> "DB_X_LL2, "DB_Y_LL", "DB_X_UR", "DB_Y_UR", "COORDINATESYSTEM", "SYMBOL",
> "XCOLUMNNAME", "YCOLUMNNAME" FROM "MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG" WHERE TABLENAME =
> 'wds';
> Obviously it's missing the "" from the where clause...

That's interesting. It's inconsistant SQL, but would work on most
systems because they tend to convert unquoted names to upper case
internally, whereas Postgres converts them to lower case.
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California