regression tests

From
Terry Mackintosh
Date:
Hi all

OK, just built 6.4, a couple of things ... :)

When I did make all runtest for the regression tests, I guess stderr used
to be sent to /dev/null? but now it goes to the screen with *LOTS* of
ERROR this and ERROR that .... but when all was done I looked in the
output file and the only thing that failed was triggers, and a diff of
expected/results follows:

[postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$ diff
expected/triggers.out results/triggers.out
53d52
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
56,57d54
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
59d55
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
62,63d57
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
< NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
[postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$

So ... is this OK?

Have a great night, and thanks for the great software.
Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

Re: [HACKERS] regression tests

Date:
Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com> writes:
> When I did make all runtest for the regression tests, I guess stderr used
> to be sent to /dev/null? but now it goes to the screen with *LOTS* of
> ERROR this and ERROR that ....

Doesn't act that way for me ... all I see is one line per test with
"ok" or "failed", same as it ever was.

> but when all was done I looked in the
> output file and the only thing that failed was triggers, and a diff of
> expected/results follows:

> [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$ diff
> expected/triggers.out results/triggers.out
> 53d52
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> 56,57d54
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> 59d55
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> 62,63d57
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$

> So ... is this OK?

No.  Something's wrong.

As far as the error messages to screen go, maybe someone changed the
regression driver shell script in a way that doesn't work on your shell.
Can you check against the last driver script that behaved properly for
you?

Dunno about the triggers diffs, but most other people have reported
an exact match for that one.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] regression tests

From
Terry Mackintosh
Date:
Hi Tom

OK, I will do it all agian, maybe I botched some thing, I did do it while
I was tiered, and I should know better:)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com> writes:
> > When I did make all runtest for the regression tests, I guess stderr used
> > to be sent to /dev/null? but now it goes to the screen with *LOTS* of
> > ERROR this and ERROR that ....
>
> Doesn't act that way for me ... all I see is one line per test with
> "ok" or "failed", same as it ever was.
>
> > but when all was done I looked in the
> > output file and the only thing that failed was triggers, and a diff of
> > expected/results follows:
>
> > [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$ diff
> > expected/triggers.out results/triggers.out
> > 53d52
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > 56,57d54
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> > 59d55
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > 62,63d57
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> > [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$
>
> > So ... is this OK?
>
> No.  Something's wrong.
>
> As far as the error messages to screen go, maybe someone changed the
> regression driver shell script in a way that doesn't work on your shell.
> Can you check against the last driver script that behaved properly for
> you?
>
> Dunno about the triggers diffs, but most other people have reported
> an exact match for that one.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

OK now :-) was Re: [HACKERS] regression tests

From
Terry Mackintosh
Date:
Hi Tom and all

Ok, started from scratch, all works great. I did however read the INSTALL
file more closely, and notice some inconsistancies:
      12.     Install the HTML documentation. Type        $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc        $ gmake install        The
documentationis also available in Postscript        format. Look for files ending with .ps.gz in the        same
directory.

Does not 'install' imply 'all install' if 'all' has not already been
done?
And if so, would 'all' not include 'man'? Thus ...
      13.     Install the man page documentation. Type        $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc        $ gmake man

This complains that several files already exist.

Thats all, thanks for the great software, you people are a great bunch of
hackers !-), if only some day I can be as skilled.
Have a great night
Terry

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Terry Mackintosh wrote:

> Hi Tom
>
> OK, I will do it all agian, maybe I botched some thing, I did do it while
> I was tiered, and I should know better:)
>
> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com> writes:
> > > When I did make all runtest for the regression tests, I guess stderr used
> > > to be sent to /dev/null? but now it goes to the screen with *LOTS* of
> > > ERROR this and ERROR that ....
> >
> > Doesn't act that way for me ... all I see is one line per test with
> > "ok" or "failed", same as it ever was.
> >
> > > but when all was done I looked in the
> > > output file and the only thing that failed was triggers, and a diff of
> > > expected/results follows:
> >
> > > [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$ diff
> > > expected/triggers.out results/triggers.out
> > > 53d52
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > > 56,57d54
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> > > 59d55
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > > 62,63d57
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys are deleted
> > > < NOTICE:  check_pkeys_fkey_cascade: 1 tuple(s) of fkeys2 are deleted
> > > [postgres@laptop /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress]$
> >
> > > So ... is this OK?
> >
> > No.  Something's wrong.
> >
> > As far as the error messages to screen go, maybe someone changed the
> > regression driver shell script in a way that doesn't work on your shell.
> > Can you check against the last driver script that behaved properly for
> > you?
> >
> > Dunno about the triggers diffs, but most other people have reported
> > an exact match for that one.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
> >

> Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
> sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.
>
> Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
> Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

Re: OK now :-) was Re: [HACKERS] regression tests

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> Ok, started from scratch, all works great. I did however read the
> INSTALL file more closely, and notice some inconsistancies:
>        12.     Install the HTML documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake install
>          The documentation is also available in Postscript
>          format. Look for files ending with .ps.gz in the
>          same directory.
>
> Does not 'install' imply 'all install' if 'all' has not already been
> done?

The html docs are packaged as a tar file inside the main Postgres
tarball. The only thing the Makefile does is "install". Should we put in
an "all" to be consistant with the other makefiles? Perhaps so...

> And if so, would 'all' not include 'man'? Thus ...
>        13.     Install the man page documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake man
> This complains that several files already exist.

As it always has. The man page installation process tries to make
directories without checking to see if they already exist, so you see
warnings if so. I did update these instructions with a bias toward the
html and postscript docs, I have to admit. But some people will still
want the man pages too so I included that as a separate step.
                       - Tom

Re: OK now :-) was Re: [HACKERS] regression tests

Date:
> Hi Tom and all
>
> Ok, started from scratch, all works great. I did however read the INSTALL
> file more closely, and notice some inconsistancies:
>
>        12.     Install the HTML documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake install
>          The documentation is also available in Postscript
>          format. Look for files ending with .ps.gz in the
>          same directory.
>
> Does not 'install' imply 'all install' if 'all' has not already been
> done?

I am confused.  What does the 'all' mean?

> And if so, would 'all' not include 'man'? Thus ...
>
>        13.     Install the man page documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake man
>
> This complains that several files already exist.

I see now.  'gmake install' installs everything, including the man
pages, so no need to do 'gmake man'.

Do we want to split out gmake man and gmake html, or keep just gmake
install and remove mention of gmake man?

Can someone who understands how the INSTALL file and doc/Makefile are
used please make the changes.  Thanks.

Pennsylvania19026