Re: OK now :-) was Re: [HACKERS] regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: OK now :-) was Re: [HACKERS] regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hi Tom and all
>
> Ok, started from scratch, all works great. I did however read the INSTALL
> file more closely, and notice some inconsistancies:
>
>        12.     Install the HTML documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake install
>          The documentation is also available in Postscript
>          format. Look for files ending with .ps.gz in the
>          same directory.
>
> Does not 'install' imply 'all install' if 'all' has not already been
> done?

I am confused.  What does the 'all' mean?

> And if so, would 'all' not include 'man'? Thus ...
>
>        13.     Install the man page documentation. Type
>          $ cd /usr/src/pgsql/doc
>          $ gmake man
>
> This complains that several files already exist.

I see now.  'gmake install' installs everything, including the man
pages, so no need to do 'gmake man'.

Do we want to split out gmake man and gmake html, or keep just gmake
install and remove mention of gmake man?

Can someone who understands how the INSTALL file and doc/Makefile are
used please make the changes.  Thanks.

Pennsylvania19026