Declare Cursor question again

From
"Dr. Michael Meskes"
Date:
Is the following legal:

if (<condition>) {
        exec sql declare cur cursor for
                select name, nr from table where nr < 10;
}
else {
        exec sql declare cur cursor for
                select name, nr from table where nr >= 10;
}

That is declaring one cursor in two different ways? Oracle cannot do that.
We can, though. Shall I disable this (and remove my last changes) or is this
a good feature (as I think it is) and we keep it? Only disadvantage is that
the declare tarnslates into a C statement and is not really a declaration
anymore.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes        meskes@online-club.de, meskes@debian.org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!    Use Debian GNU/Linux!

Re: [HACKERS] Declare Cursor question again

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> Shall I disable this (and remove my last changes) or is this
> a good feature (as I think it is) and we keep it? Only disadvantage is
> that the declare tarnslates into a C statement and is not really a
> declaration anymore.

On my Ingres box, the "declare cursor" statements could appear up in or
near the declarations portion of the program or routine. Wouldn't
associating this statement with executable code put limitations on
statement location which other systems (and perhaps the standard) do not
see?

                        - Tom

Date:
On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 06:17:18AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> On my Ingres box, the "declare cursor" statements could appear up in or
> near the declarations portion of the program or routine. Wouldn't
> associating this statement with executable code put limitations on
> statement location which other systems (and perhaps the standard) do not
> see?

Yes. In Oracle you can put it outside a function.

Michael