wishlist: PQfsize

From
Edmund Mergl
Date:
Hi all,

I would like to add the following item to the
wishlist:

currently the libpq-function PQfsize returns the
size in bytes of the field with the given field-
index. If the field is a variable-length field,
PQfsize returns -1.

In general as well as for some internal functionality
of the perl interface it would be useful, if PQfsize
would return the number of bytes even for variable-
length fields.

Edmund
--
Edmund Mergl       mailto:E.Mergl@bawue.de
Im Haldenhau 9     http://www.bawue.de/~mergl

Re: [HACKERS] wishlist: PQfsize

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to add the following item to the
> wishlist:
>
> currently the libpq-function PQfsize returns the
> size in bytes of the field with the given field-
> index. If the field is a variable-length field,
> PQfsize returns -1.
>
> In general as well as for some internal functionality
> of the perl interface it would be useful, if PQfsize
> would return the number of bytes even for variable-
> length fields.

We have a new atttypmod field that holds the length for the column as
defined at table-creation time for char() and varchar().  Is that the
number you want?

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to add the following item to the
> > wishlist:
> >
> > currently the libpq-function PQfsize returns the
> > size in bytes of the field with the given field-
> > index. If the field is a variable-length field,
> > PQfsize returns -1.
> >
> > In general as well as for some internal functionality
> > of the perl interface it would be useful, if PQfsize
> > would return the number of bytes even for variable-
> > length fields.
>
> We have a new atttypmod field that holds the length for the column as
> defined at table-creation time for char() and varchar().  Is that the
> number you want?
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

for varchar() and also for the datatype text it would be
nice to know the actual length. If this is not possible,
then the length at creation time is still better than -1.

Edmund
--

Date:
> > We have a new atttypmod field that holds the length for the column as
> > defined at table-creation time for char() and varchar().  Is that the
> > number you want?
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Momjian
> > maillist@candle.pha.pa.us
>

> for varchar() and also for the datatype text it would be
> nice to know the actual length. If this is not possible,
> then the length at creation time is still better than -1.

If you use binary cursors, you can use VARSIZE and VARDATA to see the
size and data for a string type.

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > We have a new atttypmod field that holds the length for the column as
> > > defined at table-creation time for char() and varchar().  Is that the
> > > number you want?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bruce Momjian
> > > maillist@candle.pha.pa.us
> >

> > for varchar() and also for the datatype text it would be
> > nice to know the actual length. If this is not possible,
> > then the length at creation time is still better than -1.
>
> If you use binary cursors, you can use VARSIZE and VARDATA to see the
> size and data for a string type.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

For the perl interface (DBD-Pg) I can not use cursors at all,
because they can not be nested.

Edmund