Re: [HACKERS] wishlist: PQfsize - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Edmund Mergl
Subject Re: [HACKERS] wishlist: PQfsize
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to add the following item to the
> > wishlist:
> >
> > currently the libpq-function PQfsize returns the
> > size in bytes of the field with the given field-
> > index. If the field is a variable-length field,
> > PQfsize returns -1.
> >
> > In general as well as for some internal functionality
> > of the perl interface it would be useful, if PQfsize
> > would return the number of bytes even for variable-
> > length fields.
>
> We have a new atttypmod field that holds the length for the column as
> defined at table-creation time for char() and varchar().  Is that the
> number you want?
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

for varchar() and also for the datatype text it would be
nice to know the actual length. If this is not possible,
then the length at creation time is still better than -1.

Edmund
--
Edmund Mergl          mailto:E.Mergl@bawue.de
Im Haldenhau 9        http://www.bawue.de/~mergl